Forums Latest Members

Thoughts On Choosing Inheritable/Heirloom Watches (for my boys)

1. cvalue13 Jan 13, 2020

Interested in your thoughts on choosing watches that are intended to be passed down to children.

My first son, we'll call him "SJ," is nearly 2 years old. When pregnant, my wife and I were on vacation in Las Vegas when I accidentally had the opportunity to purchase a SS Rolex Sky-Dweller. In addition to capitalizing on the opportunity to purchase at MSRP a watch that was otherwise unobtainable at the time, I also rationalized the purchase based on the idea that this would be SJ's watch one day - essentially, his "birth year" watch, to be one day passed along from his father. Every glorious scratch, would have been put there by dear ole' dad.

We've recently had a second son, we'll call him "CJ." So, I've been on the hunt for "his" watch.

This time around, a birth-year SS unobtainium Rolex has not jumped into my lap. So, I've had the opportunity to think about what qualities a watch should have to plan on it being passed down to my child. Below are some of my thoughts to date (still being scrutinized).

It's fare to say, in short, the thought process roughly mirrors a decision toward a "single watch collection" thought process.

Very interested in additional or contrary views!

-> First and foremost (but specific to my situation), is the notion that CJ's watch should be fairly characterized as being "equal" to SJ's SS Rolex Sky-Dweller. This at least includes being roughly the same price (at least in today's prices, as who knows where they'll be in 20 years). I'd like to make a good faith effort to avoid any appearance of playing favorites vis-a-vis "a watch from dad."

-> Second, I've been thinking a lot about attempting to ensure the longevity of the watch. This notion of 'longevity' would include both the robustness of the watch itself, but also of the underlying company. Is this a legitimate concern? For example, on one hand, I'm not at all married to the idea of CJ's watch being a Rolex, but on the other hand a Rolex seem to offer a relatively good proposition in terms of robustness of the watch itself as well as relative surety that the company will be around for service, parts, etc.

-> Dress, vs Sports, vs hybrid? While SJ's Sky-Dweller is technically within the brand's "dress" portfolio, it does wear considerably more 'sporty' than, say, a Cellini or even a day-date. When thinking of CJ's watch, I've leaned away from decidedly "dress" watches, and more toward the flexibility of a SS sports watch that permits of both dress and casual wear.

-> Finally, I've been debating whether to have the case back engraved. I've leaning toward engraving SJ's Sky-Dweller with at least his name and birth date, if not something a bit more personal included. If so, I would take the same approach with CJ's watch.

Other thoughts, or critical thinking?

It would be particularly great to hear from those who have already been through the 'life cycle' of this thought process (i.e., years ago purchased a watch for an heir, and learned from the experience; or themselves were the recipient of an intentional heirloom watch).

Happy Monday, and cheers!
    cvalue

DaveK likes this.
  2. Wryfox Jan 13, 2020

Submariner. Timeless, classic, historic, and all around wearable dressy or beach.

DaveK and CJpickup57 like this.
  3. CPRwatch Jan 13, 2020

I would buy the same watch for CJ as you did for SJ saves any future sibling rivalry ( regarding birth watch choices ).

cvalue13, DaveK, Syrte and 1 other person like this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 13, 2020

My kid wants the Rolexes. Nothing else. I’d leave em the same watch. GMT’s or Subs.

cvalue13 and CJpickup57 like this.
  5. Dan S Jan 13, 2020

I’m going to be brutally honest here. What makes this tricky is the fact the Sky Dwellers are not widely loved. So it’s not guaranteed that either child will really want it in the future. I certainly wouldn’t buy a second one. I like Larry’s idea of Subs or GMTs. Sell the Sky Dweller if necessary.

cvalue13, CJpickup57 and MikiJ like this.
  6. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 13, 2020

My son, when he comes to visit, generally hands me the last watch I gave him and explains the problem, the damage, the whatever and then goes "shopping" in the watch box. Fortunately his instinct is for the more pedestrian pieces or maybe he gets clued in by the tense stillness when he picks up and admires one of my prizes...

Over the Holidays he brought back home a stainless Clebar that had been in Excellent condition ( now maybe good with a broken crown) and exchanged it for a gold-capped presentation Omega 166.0140 with a cal. 750.

Clebar date_010917 5119.jpg

166.0140_101017 7750.jpg

Having read your post again A) I am sort of glad I don't have two of them picking through my watchboxes and B) I'd say just buy and wear what you like and count yourself lucky if they do share your enthusiasm.

Edited Jan 13, 2020
  7. janice&fred Jan 13, 2020

i'm kinda likin that omega too. hows about selling it to me when your boy brings it back and exchanges for yet another?

8. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 13, 2020

We'll have to see what the future has in store for that piece. He is an active 27 year old. The list starts with a really neat looking Bulova Commander that was lost in the aftermath of a auto accident (thank God we didn't lose him), a Longines 5 star Admiral that lost it's crystal and consequently the dial and movement while skateboarding, A Tissot Seastar Sonorous (crown) and the aforementioned Clebar.

But your dibs are noted.

9. dx009 Jan 13, 2020

You want to surprise your boys in the future ? Buy them Playstations... No, really. You really don't know whether they will even, generally, appreciate watches at all... Some people look at wathes and think down on them despite being works of art (as long as we're not talking about a 10$ Mumbai special...)

10. GandOsDad Jan 13, 2020

Speedmaster? And to get close to the value the new .321?

cvalue13 likes this.
  11. cvalue13 Jan 13, 2020

Philosophically (at least currently) against paying gray market premium for SS Rolex - and don't see lightning striking twice at MSRP. But thought's crossed my mind.

12. cvalue13 Jan 13, 2020

No guarantees in any particular direction, but still exercising the delusion that I'll impart them with superior taste...

13. cvalue13 Jan 13, 2020

I'm beginning to think that in asking about those with prior experience, there have been a number of bad experiences...

14. cvalue13 Jan 13, 2020

In a shocking twist, the .321 is actually a touch more expensive than a Sky-Dweller (which REALLY puts the .321 price into perspective). But yes, almost spot on.

That said, I'm 2nd on a boutique's list for the new .321, but there are whispers it could be a year before deliveries begin and I don't see waiting around that long...