Forums Latest Members

Thoughts On Authenticity Of This Supposed '85 Speedmaster?

1. jconly May 16, 2013

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271206128932#ht_881wt_986Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was getting excited when I saw the bracelet. 1450 w/ 808 end links.
    According to this chart, it only existed from 86-89. Ok, not an 85 original, but I can deal.
    But then looking at the case reference, 145.022, it doesn't seem to make sense. This would indicate the watch originally had a leather strap, right?
    Looking at the chart though, it shows this bracelet was in fact on a 145.0022 in '86.
    Then the reference number switched to 345.0022, as I would expect.
    Looking at the serial number of the movement though, it looks as if it's from 1991.

Wow, this is getting more and more difficult the more I think I'm learning.

So, it would seem to me this watch has been pieced together.
    What do you experts think?
    Worth the buy as an authentic mid 80's era Speedy?

Thanks for your input, and sorry, I'll probably get annoying while I try to hunt down my watch and learn this confusing system!
    But really, I couldn't figure this out without your help, so thank you!

2. jconly May 16, 2013

Also, what's the story with these serial number discrepancies I keep running into. Are these Speedies def numbered differently than the other Omegas, as the two conflicting charts seem to suggest. Seems most people on eBay use the general Omega chart when referencing year, and it's off.

3. ulackfocus May 16, 2013

4. jconly May 16, 2013

Yes, that was of some help, but didn't really address the questions I'm posting here regarding this specific watch.
    I'm just trying to learn here as all these charts can provide some seemingly conflicting info.

So let me rephrase my questions.

What is with all the 145.022's that have steel bracelets? I thought the 1 indicated leather.
    Also, according to the chart this bracelet only existed on 145.0022. Safe to assume bracelet and case are not original pairings?
    Movement serial puts it to 1991, def not original.

Seems to be a frankenwatch, no?

Also, is it safe to assume that the Speedmaster serial charts are the only ones to trust, despite sellers claims?

5. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 16, 2013

This is not a 1985 watch more like a 1990 watch which is right around where this serial would coincide with that bracelet.

I addition that longer R on the dial was being phased out right around then same as no serial engraving on the case.

I would say it is safe to say this is probably an early 1990 watch.

6. Sherbie May 17, 2013

Watch looks fine to me. I,d date it losely between 1985-1990, but i think it has an earlier bracelet - i may be wrong, but shouldnt it have a 1171 w 633 end links by this time?

Happy to be corrected though. the case ref number 145.022 is also fine, as is the case maker, KB. Omega used several case makers during this period, mine was made by CRS.

enjoy it, cheers, Paul