Forums Latest Members
  1. greasemonkey Dec 23, 2012

hi all,due to my kind jeweller friend today i have picked up a 9ct gold vintage hand winding 34mm cased genève for little more than the scrap gold price. the movement is lovely being serviced not so long ago.the case is very nice with no dings or deep scratches and the strap has its hallmarked gold omega buckle.now the bad bit the ivory[i think it was]coloured dial is very poor and stained and unpleasant to look at very much at odds with the rest of the watch[sorry for not putting up pics but i cannot track down my son] .. despite what i have read as a newbie to the forum,the only way i can live with it is by having it restored.whats more having been drooling over the black face thread i want it redone in black!is this really a no no bearing in mind this is not a rare watch.these are just thoughts at the moment and if you give me a hard time i might change just change my mind but i am a weak man when it comes to gold watches with black faces.i do not ever intend to sell it as i tend to keep things i like,i have guns and motor cycles i have owned for more than 40 years,happy xmas to all on the forum and many thanks for your learned help with my watch buying activities over the last few months..cheers..greasemonkey... ps .cannot give any more details of the watch yet as my wife bless her has wrapped it up for xmas!.

2. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2012

Pictures. Can't tell if it's in need of refinishing without them. I do know a place who redoes these manual wind Genève dials very well if I can remember where I put the info.

3. greasemonkey Dec 23, 2012

hi,yes these kind of threads are better with piccies,but being a dumb old boy i cannot do it without my son,who being 18 is constantly out in his quest for wine, women and song, but the dial is beyond what i can live with.i do like things with natural patination but this is unpleasant .its the reason why the watch was sold to my friend for scrapping.there was a thread on here recently about an inherited watch being restored and to my unexperienced eyes it looked beautiful.i was thinking of having the dial done by the same restorer,thanks..greasemonkey

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 23, 2012

If its a 9K Genève, its not the rarest of pieces so its not sacrilege or anything getting it the way you want it for daily wear, if you look at it and find it unacceptable, IMO go for it and redial. Its not a collector grade all original piece then, but its still a properly good quality daily wear watch after the redial, and frankly for ~$500, you can barely get a TAG Heuer Quartz in Stainless Steel second hand.

5. greasemonkey Dec 24, 2012

hi dsio, thanks for that.i do not have a vintage gold black dialed watch and the thread with all the black beauties on it has got me lusting for one,cheers..greasemonkey

6. greasemonkey Feb 21, 2013

hi,all as discussed in the above thread ,the geneve in question has been away to have the dial restored and is now back in my possesion and is my daily wearer.i have mated it to a hirsch lizard strap and am getting much pleasure from it.my learned son is at home today so with his help i have posted a few photos the poor quality of which i apologise for in advance,but its the best i can do,cheers..greasemonkey [ps could some one confirm for me that the crown is a replacement,thanks]..

http://imageshack.us/a/img401/452/003hm.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img443/5146/004jqe.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img21/8449/007oil.jpg

7. Wheels Feb 21, 2013

That's come up lovely mate. As others have mentioned, it's not a rare watch and you're not trying to make a bunch of cash from the restoration. I think you've done well. The crown looks to be a replacement but it may be the Omega recommended replacement for that model.

8. greasemonkey Feb 22, 2013

thanks wheels,i suspect the crown may have been replaced as it had not long been serviced and feels very sharp.i am pleased with not only to have the watch but thats its been saved from scrapping for its gold by the benevolence of my jeweler friend plus an a cost effective redial by a local[to me] tradesman to be a nice everyday watch for me to enjoy...cheers all greasemonkey

9. ulackfocus Feb 22, 2013

I wish you could move the minute hand out of the way so we could see the font of Genève. Looks like a decent job.

10. nsmike Feb 22, 2013

There is nothing wrong, with a honestly represented watch, with a refinished dial. Watches were made to be worn and used, sometimes as collectors, we lose sight of that in the search for originality.The big problem is that too often the watches are miss represented. I personally have three redialed watches, bought inexpensively, because of poor dials, and done to a high standard. Are they original?, no, are they nice watches? I think so. In the end, all you have to do, is worry about pleasing yourself.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  11. greasemonkey Mar 18, 2013

sorry to bring back an old thread.i have had a hip replacement last month and this has ment enforced captivity.with this much time in my hands i have taught myself to post photos on threads.who says you cant teach a old dog new tricks!.i remembered dennis asked for a clearer shot of the geneve font on my redial.well dennis i have tried.my skills with my happy snaps camera are not good and this is the best i can do,cheers all ..greasemonkey..http://s1293.beta.photobucket.com/user/greasemonkey5/media/002_zpsf8f00b2e.jpg.html

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 18, 2013

Nice job with the happy snapper, imagine what you could do with a digital SLR ;-)

A crappy dial saved and the result is a very pleasant looking black dial with that understated quality look.

I like it.