Forums Latest Members

thoughts on a spanish/english UG triple date

1. MarcelGuinchard Mar 6, 2015

This UG triple date's dial has months in Spanish, but days attached to the movement are in English.
    I guess, this happens, but how about the dial?
    It looks original to me ("swiss" at the bottom, crisp lettering); but because of the English/Spanish modification I have doubts.

Any thoughts?

UGtriple.jpg
    Edited Mar 7, 2015
  2. 88cut Mar 6, 2015

My guess is the date disc was changed at some point

3. MarcelGuinchard Mar 6, 2015

The day' disc has indeed certainly been changed.

Also, the gold plated hands seem to be slightly damaged at the center of the dial. May they have been badly replaced?

In any case, I love how the blue hands and moonphase Contrast with gold.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 6, 2015

The Spanish word for September is "septiembre". I believe that this is also abbreviated "SEP". "SET" would be an Italian or Portuguese abbreviation.

"ENE" is correct for "enero" (January) in Spanish, but not in Italian or Portuguese.

Looks strange to me, but would want to see other examples.
    gatorcpa

5. MarcelGuinchard Mar 6, 2015

That is getting interesting! Thanks for your observation on the languages, gatorcpa.
    I did a little research and found out that the dial is probably a South American one; in Spanish. Here's why:

1. At least one similar dial exists, with both "ENE and "SET". See here: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MAGNIFICENT-...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f77856e8&_uhb=1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    2. In Spanish, September is indeed, "septiembre", but it can also be spelled "setiembre"... mostly in Peru/Uruguay. See here: http://spanish.stackexchange.com/questions/1099/septiembre-or-setiembre

Not sure if I am heading towards the right conclusion but it seems to make sense. Would love to know what you think.

M.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 6, 2015

It's probably OK. I was thinking that it was Spanish as interpreted by a Swiss person who speaks French or Italian.

I would doubt Peru or Uruguay was a real large market for UG. Argentina or Brazil, maybe, but not those other two countries.

Who knows.
    gatorcpa

edit - I read the comments in your link. Some in Argentina do use "setiembre". That makes sense as they share a border with Uruguay. I asked a Venezuelan and a Cuban, and they never heard of that usage.

7. rolokr Mar 7, 2015

Dial is original !

8. MarcelGuinchard Mar 7, 2015

Thanks! I will try to find more dials in Spanish with "SET" for September.. And see where in which market they were sold.

9. MarcelGuinchard Mar 7, 2015

Do you know how difficult it would be to find a day disk in Spanish, as well as a crown ? (The one on the photo looks too large to me.)

10. Tritium Mar 7, 2015

The spanish language academy accepted SeTiembre few years back, but at the time this watch was manufactured, the only accepted option was SePTiembre.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 8, 2015

12. ricardorio Mar 8, 2015

13. alam Mar 8, 2015

image.jpg
    Tritium and ricardorio like this.
  14. MarcelGuinchard Mar 9, 2015

extract from Sala by ThomasM.jpg