Forums Latest Members
  1. Engee Sep 20, 2019

I’m looking at this watch (model 166.0129) for daily wear. I’m not worried about the ding at the top of the bezel -assuming it is replaceable when I service the watch - or the scratches which I imagine can be buffed out. What does concern me are the stains at the edge of the dial between 6 and 8. Could this be evidence of something serious? Is there anything else that should alarm me about this watch? I can’t see it irl and have no pictures of the movement but am assured by the seller, who seems reliable, that it’s the original cal 1022. He doesn’t want to open it to take pictures because he says it’s difficult to open up without risking scratching it. The day / date don’t look horizontal in their windows - is this a worry or again something that will be sorted in a service?

Thank you for any thoughts.

3CF6C4F3-2531-49A1-B6AA-2D29C84A9699.jpeg
  2. Screwbacks Sep 20, 2019

i used to have one with blue dial, but cleaner than this. obviously, being a vintage piece itself, natural wear&tear thru age cannot be avoided. this one in its condition with original bracelet still very good. a little service and spa might be necessary though.

Engee likes this.
  3. giminix7 Sep 20, 2019

I would not worry about the marks, more about that model and its case structure. I had one a few years ago. It is a special pressed case back with a kind of glue seal. Positive, and thats why I would not worry about the dial marks, is that this cases are absolutly sealed and try for a 100 years. Negative, you need a special tool from Omega to open the case, not every watchmaker is able to do that and as your contact mentioned you most likely will scratch the case. Consider higher maintenance costs and more difficulties to find the right watch maker to service it, Also be aware that there are no strap options as the bracelet is integrated into the case with a very small lug size

Engee likes this.
  4. Engee Sep 20, 2019

Thank you. I would certainly only ask a competent watchmaker to service it. The bracelet comes with an aftermarket clasp - I guess this is the only option for making sure it fits. I'll take the higher maintenance costs into consideration if I make an offer.

5. Engee Sep 20, 2019

Thanks. In spite of the small bits of wear and tear I think this is a handsome watch and something I could wear on a daily basis and enjoy.