Forums Latest Members
  1. Holden Caulfield Apr 29, 2013

All,

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the below ebay listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-SEAMASTER-30-1962-Seamonster-Logo-286-with-shock-protection-system-/290887008548?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item43ba378124

It seemed pretty clean to my very untrained eyes ...ie the seller isn't from Mumbai and the dial isn't shiny black :thumbsup: Also...their other listings looked comparable. I liked the numbers at 3, 6, 9, and 12 although I have seen these elsewhere. Any thoughts on the dial from those with much more experience than me?

How would this rate as an initial watch to build a collection (and wear every day?) I have read that the Cal 286 was very accurate...but mass produced. Does that diminish its worth? I've seen the shock protection system mentioned elsewhere on other cal 286 watches and it sounds like an Incabloc system which I found in Wikipedia. Is that correct? How common (and effective) were these shock protectors? Does it command a premium? This thread had a fair bit of praise for the 286....as far as I can tell...they have the same movements, no?
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/ne...cy-17-jewel-calibre-286c-movement-508259.html

Anybody recognize the seller vintagewatchespt? The seller has had four offers that have expired. What do you think a fair price would be for the watch?

Many thanks for your help!
    Paul

And...just because I'm having fun...am I right in saying that this crown is not original?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ome...es_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item3381a56181Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 29, 2013

I'll start by saying I'm no expert on Seamaster 30s, but:
    - the hands and dial both have lume, but the dial only says "swiss made" not "t swiss made t" as I would expect
    - the "30" seems a lot heavier inked than "seamaster"
    - movement looks in good condition
    - the picture in OVD doesn't have "30" on the dial at all, but OVD says that it can have it on there
    - the picutre in OVD has a coathanger S, the one on ebay doesn't
    - OVD says the dial has a facetted relief. no idea what that means

14422.jpg

3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 30, 2013

That one is a redial, that means the dial was refinished, repainted . Collectors don't collect them.
    Shock protector is nothing special, all watches made after 1950 have that feature.

Have a nice day.

4. Holden Caulfield Apr 30, 2013

All,

Thank you for your quick feedback. I spent some time comparing the font and I now see what you are saying. Certainly the "Seamaster" is wrong (the r makes it pretty clear) as well. This has been a very helpful learning experience...thanks for your feedback!

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 1, 2013

you're welcome!

6. speedmasterguy30 Nov 18, 2013

I found the same watch, but gold capped, at my Grandparent's house many years ago. This dial is in fact 100% original-I'm sorry that the item already sold because this dial is pretty rare as far as I know.