Thoughts on a IWC 666A Ingenieur

Posts
1,611
Likes
6,049
Dear all,
since OF shows a deep knowledge on vintage IWC, I'd like to get some thoughts about this 666A Ingenieur for sale online.
My feeling is that everything is okay, the patina on the dial doesn't bother me. However, I know from experience that with IWC, dial reprints and various inconsistencies are always around the corner. So, I would be reassured by the opinions of some experts on the forum.
I just still miss a pic of the case serial between lugs.
Thanks a lot in advance,
Alessandro

 
Posts
8,247
Likes
29,140
I am confident that the dial is original. The case makes me a bit uneasy, though, and I would want to see more images from the side, and back, along with the number on the inside of the bottom lugs.
 
Posts
1,611
Likes
6,049
Thank you Tony, I will ask for more detailed pics.
 
Posts
368
Likes
461
I am confident that the dial is original. The case makes me a bit uneasy, though, and I would want to see more images from the side, and back, along with the number on the inside of the bottom lugs.
Hi, I am just learning, uneasy in the sense of being over polished? Or being a marriage?
 
Posts
8,247
Likes
29,140
It appears to be correct, but I'm guessing that the back my be overpolished, or otherwise not in very good condition. Also, the sides of the mid-case would have contrasting brushing, if original finish.
 
Posts
8,247
Likes
29,140
As the first one is represented as having a refinished dial, I'd walk away for that reason alone. The case, and especially back, has been polished. I don't like the lack of movement and inside case back photos, and am not convinced that the crown is correct. I also don't like the dissonance of the bright, clean dial, and (likely) original hands.

The second one I much prefer, though the dial condition would be a matter of taste. The bracelet and clasp are contemporary, and likely Japanese. I would try to find someone who reads Japanese, just to be sure about what was done in the service.

There are a good number of 666 Ingenieurs that circulate in the market, so I'd be inclined to wait for something better. But between those two, it would be a very easy choice for me: #2
 
Posts
3,150
Likes
6,549
#2 has the nicer "patina" (+ the bracelet). IMO better, but the spot on the dial.....and around the "6".... hm. Not my choice.
 
Posts
58
Likes
20
As the first one is represented as having a refinished dial, I'd walk away for that reason alone. The case, and especially back, has been polished. I don't like the lack of movement and inside case back photos, and am not convinced that the crown is correct. I also don't like the dissonance of the bright, clean dial, and (likely) original hands.

The second one I much prefer, though the dial condition would be a matter of taste. The bracelet and clasp are contemporary, and likely Japanese. I would try to find someone who reads Japanese, just to be sure about what was done in the service.

There are a good number of 666 Ingenieurs that circulate in the market, so I'd be inclined to wait for something better. But between those two, it would be a very easy choice for me: #2
Great notes. Thanks. Will wait and enjoy the hunt….
 
Posts
58
Likes
20
#2 has the nicer "patina" (+ the bracelet). IMO better, but the spot on the dial.....and around the "6".... hm. Not my choice.
I don’t have a 666 yet, so with these comments, it’s worth continuing to look to find a better example.
 
Posts
24,800
Likes
55,082
The spot on the dial of #2 is pretty distracting.
 
Posts
703
Likes
2,459
Bought this 666AD three weeks ago and I am pretty happy.

Beauty watch! I’ve never seen a 666 with magnifier. Is that an original crystal? Or was magnifier added on?
 
Posts
1,827
Likes
7,373
Beauty watch! I’ve never seen a 666 with magnifier. Is that an original crystal? Or was magnifier added on?
Got it from a trustworthy dealer who bought it from an watchmaker stock, together with another 666. He said it was never sold but badly stored in a drawer with other watches. This would claim the crystal could be factory original. But I can't be 100% sure and I am not an expert on these watches. Maybe someone else knows?
 
Posts
8,247
Likes
29,140
He said it was never sold but badly stored in a drawer with other watches. This would claim the crystal could be factory original. But I can't be 100% sure and I am not an expert on these watches. Maybe someone else knows?
It's an interesting question, and despite the vast majority of 666 Ingenieurs having left the factory with plain crystals, the answer is that a few did feature "cyclops" lenses!