Forums Latest Members
  1. disco_nug Jan 27, 2019

Hi All

First time poster and a relative newcomer to the vintage watches...Omegaforums has been a great resource (and a source of temptation), and I've learnt a lot over the year.

Speaking of, would be grateful for thoughts on a Constellation that I have been staring at on the bay for the past day.

Seller doesn't indicate when last serviced - so I assume it would need an overhaul service.

Has a cal 561 movement - what are people's thoughts / experience?

Constellation Dial.jpg Constellation Movement.jpg Constellation Caseback.jpg
  2. cristos71 Jan 27, 2019

The fact that it is missing half of its onyx markers would make me discard it immediately.

3. bikehomero Jan 27, 2019

Case looks good to me, as it has the facetted legs and bezel doesn't look round on the top. There are missing some onix inlays in the dial. But there are printed markers at the hours as well. I think dial is original with onyx defect. Finally I think it is the wrong crown.

Pictures from the side could help more.

4. Sherbie Jan 27, 2019

And the dial looks like its been scrubbed clean with sandpaper

Avoid

McKinley, Mossback and Noddyman like this.
  5. Vicke Jan 27, 2019

Dial's in poor condition, wrong crown, movement not looking good.

Keep looking is my advice.

6. bikehomero Jan 27, 2019

Movement looks average to me. What have I missed to see Vicke?

Edited Jan 27, 2019
  7. Passover Jan 27, 2019

Hi and welcome on OF! :)

Watch was discussed here before:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/constellation.87937/#post-1138629

@bikehomero :

(Upper) Edges of the case are in all pictures out of focus. Impossible to say if they are rounded IMO

Movement: On the inner side of the caseback you see remains of rotor rubbing

There could be parts taken from different sources, different colors of rotor, bridge and the rest

Asking price was 800€ -I think- with all that issues, dial, crown, case movement you should pass this one!

bikehomero and Vicke like this.
  8. Fretworker Jan 27, 2019

Hi disco_nug, even now there are some lovely pie pans available without any of these obvious flaws. Just be patient, global economies are built on money not vintage Omegas - don't give your money away too readily. Even at that price. It it's too good to be true, then it is. I waited for around a year before mine came along. Never regretted the wait - it's the thrill of the hunt after all. Good luck.

9. bikehomero Jan 27, 2019

Your right, havn't pay enough attention to the marks inside the caseback. In the 2nd foto you can see clearly the facetting of the legs from the downside. Concerning the bezel, I asked for better fotos from the side.

BTW: I woudn't buy this watch there are much better ones on the market.

Passover likes this.
  10. Passover Jan 27, 2019

I agree concerning the downside of the lugs :)

bikehomero likes this.
  11. Vicke Jan 27, 2019

The first thing I saw, apart from the case back rubbing, was the missing “Adjusted” text that should be on a chronometer movement.

See @Passover ’s answer as well.

Passover and bikehomero like this.
  12. bikehomero Jan 27, 2019

Yea, your right! More difficult to recognize something thats missing. My mistake!

13. disco_nug Feb 4, 2019

Thanks for the insight all...

The search continues...

14. Noddyman Feb 4, 2019

Good decision, you can do much better.