Forums Latest Members
  1. sterlamb May 14, 2014

Hi! I'm a watch newbie desperately searching for a Seamaster from 1974 for my boyfriend's 40th birthday. I've been trying to form an elementary omega education in my spare time, but feel so overwhelmed. Thank you for these boards/forums as they have been very helpful. I live in NYC but prices are high and watch shops/booths have either been unfriendly or with little selection. Hence, EBAY!

I was hoping for original dial. I'm against facelifts (for me and my loved ones) and feel sorta the same way about watches. But because my budget is around $700 I realize it probably won't be in mint condition.

Would love thoughts on the following two:

1. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-197...?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item4ad54984aa#shpCntIdPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Seama...atch-With-New-Lifetime-Warranty-/131186677404Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

AND-- is it worth to check out the f300hz? My boyfriend is a musician so I like the whole tuning fork concept, especially because of its place in omega history. But in case I bought one on EBAY that needed work (as in, NOT as advertised), would it be difficult to get fixed in NYC without costing $$$$?

THANK YOU for any tips etc...

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 14, 2014

A lot depends on his tastes. Both watches look very nice to me, but for different reasons.

The first one is in original condition. It probably came from an estate or collection. This is what collectors call a "tool" watch. It may have been used as an everyday watch by a professional person, who may or may not have maintained it properly. The price being asked is fair, IMO, but you are taking a bit of a chance here. A good service, if needed, would run you $100 to $200.

The second watch is more of a dress watch, designed to worn with a suit and tie. The price is quite high for what it is, but you are getting a fully serviced and warrantied piece. There is value in that.

Not sure what your boyfriend's preference would be between the two.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. Onfullblast May 14, 2014

Nice idea for a 40th! You could get a very nice 70s Seamaster for 7hun, keep looking. i prefer a wind up vintage, they only need good cleaning by a watchmaker.

4. sterlamb May 14, 2014

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 14, 2014

I advise against f300 for newbie watch buyer. Unlike the mechanical or Quartz brethren very few watchmaker could repair it when it is broken. In vintage watch world broken movement is something that we anticipate will happen, thus we avoid it with regular preventive maintenance.

Regards,
    H

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 14, 2014

BTW have you peruse our For Sale sub forum?

7. ulackfocus May 14, 2014

Agreed - look for a mechanical watch and stay away from a battery powered watch like that.

8. ulackfocus May 14, 2014

Don't bother with that one - it's priced too high for the condition. Those particular watches were discontinued a few years before 1974 anyway.

Not a bad watch but might not be from 1974. You're in the correct ballpark though - we just need to know the serial number on the movement to be sure.

This is about a decade earlier than 1974 - or it should be. The 27 million serial number puzzles me since that should be from 1969, but production on that type of Seamaster DeVille stopped in 1967.

Keep looking - you'll score one with some help here.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 14, 2014

I just picked up a similar watch in slightly better condition for around $600.

[​IMG]

I would not offer more than $600. However, my feeling is that this seller will not accept the offer. Might be best to move on.
    gatorcpa

P.S. Not sure if this one is too small for him at 31-32mm, but it is fully complete including original box, buckle, watchband and hang tag.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131186915895Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network