Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on 1680 purchase?

1. martindk May 11, 2015

Hi all,

In consider purchasing this 1680 white sub in my area from a private seller. He gives these information on the watch:

- Year: 1978 5-mil series
    - Condition: 100% original, watch is running precisely
    - Rolex inner- and outer box included.
    - Price: $ 5.980

Photos are below - what are your thoughts on:
    - Originality?
    - Condition? (Too polished?)
    - Price?
    - What shall i be aware of when inspecting it "live"?

Thank for any help! 31860-1.jpg 31860-2.jpg 31860-3.jpg 31860-4.jpg 31860-5.jpg 31860-6.jpg

2. marturx May 11, 2015

This is no judgement concerning the watch you are now considering.

You strike me as a relative newbie to vintage watches, and yet you are considering really high priced specimens.

I think you should take it easier. Do your homework a lot more thoroughly, and maybe start on a somewhat lower level, with less valued pieces.

When you are to buy one of these 1680, you shouldn´t need to post questions like this. When you see the right one for sale, you know it.s right because you have the knowledge to make that judgement. This knowledge comes from extensive studies of this model over a long period of time.

This knowledge you don´t earn by taking shortcuts like the one you are trying to take above.

The more money you are going to spend, the better your knowledge has to be.

Excuse me for being blunt, but my intention is to help. :)

KIMBER likes this.
  3. omitohud May 13, 2015

Its a mark 2 dial which is correct for 5 mil serial. The case has been polished but still strong. The insert is fat font mark 3 which is also correct for this period. Overall a nice watch at a nice price. See if u can talk him down n u got a nice deal. Make sure to check between the lugs. 1978 should be mid 5 mil. Also just in case open the back n check the movement. If u can show pics of the ref no n serial no between the lugs that would b best. Good luck.

erpin9 and threeputtbogey like this.
  4. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member May 13, 2015

I don't think the boxes are correct, they look too modern, so you can focus on the watch itself. One thing I'm worried about is what looks like might be corrosion on the date wheel, which would indicate moisture incursion into the movement.

5. threeputtbogey May 13, 2015

+1 on all this.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 13, 2015

Yea should be the box with the cutout green insert and the seahorse on the outer box