Forums Latest Members
  1. davidswiss Mar 7, 2016

I have a pretty worn and battered 105003 from '68. It was serviced some years ago, runs fine and I enjoy wearing it occasionally.
    However, when serviced the crown and pushers were changed for larger replacements and as I have the originals I was thinking of getting them re fitted when it next goes for a service as, having recently seen an original, I think the originals look better. What are the thoughts on doing this ?
    Apart from, in my opinion, looking better are there any other advantages ?
    I've added a couple of pictures as it is now.
    P1040006.JPG P1040007.JPG P1040008.JPG

2. jayrock26 Mar 7, 2016

original is always the way to go when it comes to parts on a vintage speedy :thumbsup:

3. Javi22 Mar 7, 2016

Original is the best way....j

4. davidswiss Mar 7, 2016

Thanks J and J that was my thinking too. I'd never really looked at the originals until recently and was surprised at how much smaller they are.

5. Pianist A 12 inch WHAT?!?!? Mar 7, 2016

Yes the originals are better :)

6. Davidt Mar 7, 2016

I'm not sure id have the original pushers back on. New, correct ones are available so I'd sway that way. Pushers with the correct dimensions certainly improve the look. The larger one look out of sync.

The crown is a judgement call. I have the original on mine, but others prefer the added security that new seals bring.

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 7, 2016

Definitely get the correct size, but David has a good point about using new ones. Regarding the crown, I'd either use a new one for wear and keep the original tucked away safe, or see if you can get the original one fixed, mainly the tiny gaskets replaced.

Looks like a nice piece from here.

Are the hands original?

8. davidswiss Mar 7, 2016

Thanks for the reply david/oddboy and the gasket problem was the reason given for replacing with a new type crown with, of course, different but waterproof ones.
    My thinking is that since the work was done a few years ago I've never worn it anytime it could get damp or wet so it's not been as important as I thought it would be.
    Oddboy: As far as I'm aware it's all original but the dial lume is all gone and the case very worn so it's not massively valuable. I just enjoy it.
    It was originally sold in Venezuela and I imagine all sorts of adventures it might have been involved in over the years before I bought it in the UK

oddboy likes this.