Thoughts about this combination?

This is a (hastily and poorly MSPaint-ed) mockup of a strap/watch combination I'm considering. ---I have the watch already, not the strap. I'm wondering what folks think of the taupe on black here. I don't always trust my own sensibilities and the wife doesn't trust hers either (though she should). I'm a standard-issue white dude, not especially tan or pale. Maybe how the taupe looks against my skin is the more important consideration?

It's this vs. a black strap.

I bet your wife said no 😉 She’d be right, as always.

Wear it if you like it though 👍

I don't always trust my own sensibilities and the wife doesn't trust hers either (though she should).
I see why you don't and imho you shouldn't.

It's a no from me. But if you like nude look straps, hey whatever.
If you want a warm tone strap perhaps cognac colour will work. Trying mocking it up and show us that. It works well with black dial speedmasters.

Cognac Racing Strap - Copy.jpg

And here is a black dial on a Fluco goatskin in grey- this is one of my favorite straps.
EFD3E9DB-EFF7-4AC6-AF0E-56504B95885A.jpeg

Appreciate the comments! This is exactly why I asked. I think what I want is a darker gray or a black and I was stupidly trying to force the Omega taupe nato to be gray when it’s really just not. (OEM natos in 18mm are very limited.)

Thanks guys for the steer.

Plenty of aftermarket grey NATO’s out there- as the nato was never a factory option during the period of this watch, I see no need to pay the premium for a factory strap- but that just me.

That’s true—and I’m not necessarily going that factory nato route. Just had a lead on a very inexpensive one of these but if it’s not right, it’s not right, and no amount of wishful thinking will make it so. Where I live and work it’s mostly folks in uniform—my fashion sense (if it ever existed) is depleted. I’ll play it a little safer, I think.

EEA0DD28-98C3-4B37-AE78-0DB2D1BD8594.jpeg My technical dial on cognac color-
Not black dial but dark grey sunburst

Sorry for the tangent, but wau 🥰 that is gorgeous. Dibs 😜

Sorry for the tangent, but wau 🥰 that is gorgeous. Dibs 😜

I had the same thought. Really beautiful piece.

These also pop on stainless- and thanks for the compliments- it’s one of my fav’s.
00B6CE65-6844-4CE7-80DC-4F4A6DB8A4A3.jpeg

@Annapolis - these things look good on almost anything. But getting the period correct style really makes them stand out, be it a bracelet or strap. NATO’s are comfy and easy to wear, and can butch up a smaller vintage watch (I have some of my 1940’s 31mm watches on NATO’s for that purpose), but take away from some of the vintage appeal. A slim and tapered strap was what was typically on these and made them really slick. You could also try a black perforated rally style if you are looking for some texture. Seriously, the options are limitless and getting a variety of quality straps will allow you to mix and match...and trust me- rarely does a strap not find a watch eventually....even the taupe one...just not on that watch