Forums Latest Members

Thoughts about a possible birth-year purchase ('77 1022 cal).

1. Annapolis May 19, 2020

Would need to negotiate the price down considerably if I went for this (listing is for >800!) but I'm curious to see if your eyes notice anything I've missed. I'm still honing my skills here.

I think I might see a missing screw, and I'm having trouble locating/comprehending the regulator. Listing says it's keeping accurate time. No stated service history, which is also a factor in cost here. The cosmetics don't bother me much as long as everything looks original.

I'd probably sell off the bracelet immediately to recoup at least a tiny bit of $, as I'm not a bracelet person.

s-l1600 (9).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg
  2. Annapolis May 19, 2020

These are the only movement pics supplied; there are other pics of the bracelet and case, but I'm mainly interested to know people's thoughts about the mechanism itself and the dial.

3. Dan S May 19, 2020

Are you concerned about this particular movement for some reason, or the cal 1022 in general? I think you can assume it needs a cleaning. I'm really not so familiar with the late 70s pieces, but overall the watch has the look of something that hasn't been tampered with. I wouldn't be surprised if it were all original. Does the seller know the history?

Annapolis likes this.
  4. Annapolis May 19, 2020

This particular watch—Before I’d attempt to negotiate price, I want to be aware of any conspicuous problems. (Or just walk away from it if there are too many problems.)

Though if the 1022 is notorious in general, I’d be curious to hear about that too.

To be clear, I don’t think I’d pay more than $450 or $500 for this, so if the seller is totally inflexible it’ll be a pass. I’m kind of testing my own skills here too.

5. Annapolis May 19, 2020

Just checked: the seller doesn’t provide any background on service so I’d have to ask...