Forums Latest Members
  1. Flingit1200s Apr 11, 2015

I did some general googling on the Tudor brand and learned that they recently reentered the US market. The dive watches are appealing but several of the others probably appeal to someone much younger than 50 yrs old. What are your opinions of modern Tudor? Would you buy one? Is there much demand for them on the used market? Any and all comments welcome as I am trying to get my head around this non Rolex.........

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 11, 2015

Had at look for a while at the Black Bay. Tried it on and just didn't do it for me. Case was a issue with quality for me the most which surprised me.
    Still like the looks of it but not for me

3. bristnj Apr 11, 2015

I have a Tudor Heritage and love it. Great watch, nice vintage look without a $12K investment of an original (which seem 90% are fake). In my opinion, the brand has rally taken a big step forward by standing on it's own merits. Some really nice designs and built beautifully (fit and finish). Still ETA movements, but if you're looking to buy a Tudor, I think its because you love the watch, not necessarily because its Rolex little brother or as a investment. They depreciate and seem to then hold that value in the secondary market. Lots of used inventory for sale on well know sites, so if there is a model you like, you can likely snag at a good discount vs. new in great condition. That is what I did.
    [​IMG]

Buckeyes#1 likes this.
  4. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Apr 11, 2015

I tried the heritage ranger on over Christmas and it was the most uninspiring watches for the money I have ever seen. I couldn't even bother to look at the black bay after that. It's a shame because I love the vintage Tudors but the modern ones don't do it for me.

5. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 11, 2015

I was also disappointed by the Heritage Ranger, way too large IMO, and it should say "RANGER" on the friggin' dial! But I do like my Heritage Chrono Blue. I think the new North Flag looks very intriguing.

6. Wetworks Apr 11, 2015

7. lenny Apr 11, 2015

Warning - negative assessment ahead!

I am not a fan of their modern designs. For instance:

Not too long ago, they released this:
    [​IMG]
    Yes, "Chrono" actually takes up 1/4 of the dial.
    Then there was this monstrosity:
    [​IMG]

Their recent forays into retro inspired design are not much better IMHO - especially the Black Bay that looks (to me) like a modded watch. And I still cannot figure out why the newly released Heritage Ranger couldn't even get fitted end links!
    [​IMG]

Overall, there's a good reason why a decent vintage Tudor Snowflake sells for as much as (or more than) these models*. It's a much more cohesive design.

*based on completed eBay auctions

Edited Apr 11, 2015
    Event horizon likes this.
  8. Flingit1200s Apr 11, 2015

Thanks Lenny. I'm interested in both the positive and negative thoughts people have on the watches. The examples you show are not appealing at all to me either. It seems their current lineup is quite a bit different. No matter the watch brand, it seems like pictures only tell part of the story and that it is best to see them in person. This was true for me when I finally saw a Speedy in person......

9. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Apr 11, 2015

All I will say about their new range of watches is they are very photogenic but please check them out in the flesh the quality seems to be lacking. In contrast I think the new sm300 doesn't take a good photo but looks great in your hands

10. proximal Apr 11, 2015

They announced an in-house movement with minimal cost increase at Basel this year. I never had a big problem with them using ETA movements like a lot of people did, though.

I like the newer designs, but they are generally too big for me in one dimension or another.

11. ulackfocus Apr 11, 2015

Nothing wrong with that in my book! I'll take my Breitling and it's easily serviceable, very reliable and accurate Valjoux 7750 over most any in-house chronograph.

12. lenny Apr 11, 2015

Exactly, in-house movement means mandatory Rolex/Tudor servicing. Speaking of which, what does Rolex charge for a non chrono Tudor service? I can't imagine it will be much cheaper than Rolex watch servicing.

13. lenny Apr 11, 2015

Here's an example of their latest mechanical alarm, the Advisor:
    [​IMG]

Tell me the original one does not look better.

Edited Apr 11, 2015
  14. ulackfocus Apr 11, 2015

......fighting back the natural contrarian in me. :D

You're absolutely right - I like the original better by far. The modern version could do without the calendar, then put a better power reserve meter in that location.

15. bristnj Apr 11, 2015

I agree, the high end ETA 2892 and Valjoux 7750 are fine movements and used in a variety of big name watches. Just wanted to point out that they were not in-house (at least not to this point). The ETA 2892 + DD 2054 chrono module in the Heritage works great.

16. Traveler Apr 11, 2015

100% agree - I really wanted to get a ranger but it's stupidly big - I don't mind big watches per se, and own several, but this one just looks wrong - such a shame...

texas john likes this.
  17. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 11, 2015

I went and tried the black bay and the blue heritage chrono. based on photos i thought id like the heritage chrono, but found that one FAR too chunky, and the blue a bit too 'baby blue'.

I got the red black bay 2 weeks ago, and has hardly come off my wrist.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

everestx, Buckeyes#1, Gavin and 3 others like this.
  18. Flingit1200s Apr 11, 2015

I'm definitely going to check these out the next time I am in Kansas City or Oklahoma City just out of curiosity. It still seems like their target market is a bit younger than my 50 year old a$$.......:D

Edited Apr 12, 2015
  19. ulackfocus Apr 11, 2015

Love the date window position on the Sherpa! :thumbsup:

20. Nick F 05 Apr 20, 2015

I like the Black Bay or Pelagos