Forums Latest Members
  1. Interstatetime Mar 29, 2013

I managed to turn up a few watches this week one of which I thought might merit a post here. This little gem was sitting on a jewelry dealer's desk when I walked into his office to pick up another watch. He couldn't get it to work and he was afraid to "mess with it".....so he sold it to me. It is working fine now with all functions acting like they should and keeping good time although it could use a COA. It looks like someone bought it and put it away without wearing it much.

I always wondered how these would feel on the wrist and I can tell you that on my big wrist it feels almost weightless. The back has the big interconnected Zs logo. I love it!

JohnCote

[​IMG]

styggpyggeno1, Gavin and Veritas99 like this.
  2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 29, 2013

You're killing me John. Tell me how you do it. :)

Great score! Very nice looking first series Astronic.

3. ulackfocus Mar 29, 2013

Gotta love it - you're saying "Hey, I think I'll find a few cool watches this week" instead of "I'm gonna search for a decent watch" as if it's a foregone conclusion that you'll turn up something that makes us all drool.

4. Interstatetime Mar 29, 2013

My secret is that except for my photography business, which keeps me on airplanes and at race tracks for long weekends through the motorsport season I look for watches all of the time. I have been looking pretty much all of my adult life and I have met a lot of people who find watches and call me about them or save them for me. I only do two things...take pictures and find watches....my wife hates me...most of the time...but it seems to pay the bills. :)

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 29, 2013

NIce incidental find, John. I love seeing these cases with that sharp chamfer down the sides of the case - it's a sure sign of an untampered case. For me, they are a little on the bulky side, especially in comparison with the wristhugging angled tonneau cases of the A384-385-3817-3818, but they surely have their time and place. It's that lobster bracelet I have not much love for - not enough segments to be truly comfortable.

Brutal! Grueling! ;)

Wait. I find watches, my significant other hates me for it and it doesn't pay any bills!::confused2::

6. Interstatetime Mar 29, 2013

Lou, when I saw this on the guy's desk I tried not to look at it and I tried to keep from trembling. I am pretty good at this. When I finally picked it up and saw that it was dirty on the surface but crisp underneath it was really difficult to act dis-interested. Then...the guy's partner walked in and said...with no prompting...."it's gonna cost us a grand to get that thing fixed....sell it to him".

Lou....shhhhh...let me whisper a secret in your ear....I love watches too much....just like you....but in the end, I end up selling most of them....that's the difference....shhhh...don't tell anyone.

7. ulackfocus Mar 29, 2013

Okay John, if you ever find a late 50's to mid 60's Longines Conquest Power Reserve, especially an 18ct (white gold preferred) contact me immediately please!

8. Interstatetime Mar 29, 2013

Dennis, I had one of these last year...but gold filled if I remember correctly. I don't see them very often but I will look harder.

JC

9. Interstatetime Mar 30, 2013

I have a question for you guys. Does anyone know how many of these were produced? I have heard in various places that only a hundred or a few hundred were made and I have heard that thousands were made. I know that not too many of the 18k version were made. What's the story?

Thanks

JohnCote

10. ulackfocus Mar 30, 2013

Which - the Conquest of the Movado in your original post?

11. Interstatetime Mar 30, 2013

Yup Dennis...the stainless Astronic pictured above.

Thanks

12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 30, 2013

I have never seen a definite number, but I've read that there were less than there were Espadas, and there were 300 of those.

13. Interstatetime Mar 30, 2013

Thanks Lou...you mean only 300 stainless Espadas?

14. Interstatetime Mar 30, 2013

BTW, this watch sets differently than the odd-ball Luna that I posted several weeks ago. I don't know if it is just because it is a later...improved movement or what but the big difference is that on the Luna (per the typewritten factory instructions and per actual function) the months have to be advanced with the button at 8:00 because they do not advance automatically. This Movado sets more like a conventional watch with the months advancing each time you advance 31 days.

15. Interstatetime Mar 30, 2013

....what is the month button on the Luna is the Day button on the Movado.

16. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 31, 2013

That's correct according to Roessler

Very interesting. It seems you have a prototype 3019 PHF - some kind of intermediate movement. The Espada of course is like the Astronic - the top corrector is for the moonphase and the bottom for the day of the week. The month advances when you quick-set the date past "31."

Then there is no day of the week corrector on the Luna? You just have to turn the hands past midnight? Does the month advance when you quick-set the date past "31"? Does the day of the week advance with quick setting the date?

17. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 31, 2013

It's my understanding that there were about 300 first generation Espadas and about 500 second generation Espadas (different case backs and different stars on the dial). The number 100 is often thrown out for Astronics, but I find this hard to believe as they show up on eBay and elsewhere with some regularity. The Astronics were also produced in two series - Movado logo on the first one's dial and the MZ 70's star on the second. First series with NATO star case back, second plain.

18. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 31, 2013

800 sounds more correct about the Espada.

19. Interstatetime Mar 31, 2013

The reason I asked this numbers question is that a watchmaker who I know from another forum used to work for Movado USA. He told me that he thought that they made thousands of Astronics. He did not distinguish between the first and second generations and he did not have any real backup for his statement other than the fact that they seemed to have a lot of them in for service because people thought that they were much more water-resistant than they really were. I had always heard that there were only 100 or so of the first series but given the number I have seen for sale (not a lot but some) I thought 100 seemed a bit hard to believe.

20. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 31, 2013

Take into account that they are likely to be relatively far more common in the US, where MZM group preferentially sold Movado-branded Primeros because of the running trademark battle with Zenith Electronics. Still, there must be many more than 100.