Forums Latest Members
  1. loveomega Jan 14, 2014

Dear all,

just would like to ask the experts if this vintage omega has original dial?

thanks so much!

[​IMG]

2. loveomega Jan 14, 2014

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ulackfocus Jan 14, 2014

Looks like a redial to me. The SWISS MADE is centered on the space between the words instead of the whole phrase being centered, and I don't think it's even supposed to have SWISS MADE. Wait for more opinions though as I'm not great with these manual winds.

4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 14, 2014

I don't know what ref you have, but mine is a 2505. As far as I know the dial on mine is original. It does not have "Swiss made" on it, whihc is correct for this era.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. John R Smith Jan 14, 2014

Very educational :thumbsup:

6. Habitant Jan 14, 2014

If a re-dial, it would seem to be very well done, at least. Point taken about 'Swiss Made,' of course.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 14, 2014

And I would say that the dial looks original to me. I think the printing at the bottom was more of a market-by-market approach at the time this watch would have been produced (~1940's). Later on, it became more standardized.

However, I would need an up close inspection, as the pictures are a little out of focus. A case reference number would be helpful as well. Nothing better than to Google up Omegas with the same case reference number, looking for those with the same dial. Doesn't always work, but worth a try.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

8. John R Smith Jan 14, 2014

Well, there are big differences between Joe's 2505 and the OP's watch. If they are supposed to have the same dial then one of them is wrong. It is not just a matter of the "Swiss Made".

9. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 14, 2014

I agree with the statement and that higher res images might be needed to determine.

Here is a thread with some pictures of somewhat similar dials, although different ref:

http://omega.watchprosite.com/show-nblog.post/fi-/ti-613851/t-/

10. mac_omega Jan 15, 2014

Sorry Joe to spoil your day - your dial is not original.
    Why I make such a bold statement?
    Well I have seen a dealer on the Munich watch fair sell these kind of dial in large numbers!
    They are aftermarket replacement dials with unknown source.

The dial in the OP: it is not possible to make an assessment based on such a poor picture - I would need a large high res and clear/in focus picture and a close up of the sub dial to make a reliable statement.

regards
    erich

11. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 15, 2014

Hi Erich
    How long ago was this?
    I am basing my assessment on the dial itself and on pictures of this exact dial layout on examples that are known to be original.

12. mac_omega Jan 15, 2014

Joe,

I do not recall, but I think at least 4 years or so...
    These dials have been sold also via ebay from a person from a northern European country (Finland or Norway,...) after this - most probably he had bought them from this particular Munich seller too.

hope I could help you a little

13. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 15, 2014

Thanks for the information, I will do some more digging.
    If I recall correctly I have to watch for probably 8+ years and have seen a number of examples from various books with a similar dial. As you know with vintage Omega dials, it is difficult to say anything with certainty. So it is possible this is a redial. If it is, it is a fantastic job, with the numerals done in what appears to be gold leaf.

I will do some more digging and see what I can find. In any case, I bought in a period when vintage Omegas had a linmited appeal and therefore did not pay too much.