Forums Latest Members

This Seamaster Professional is a total Frankenwatch, correct?

1. SteveHH Jul 29, 2016

http://watchestobuy.com/omega-seamaster-300-mid-size-bond/
    I'm surprised that Derek Dier would sell something like this. He says this is from 1986 but I thought 1988 was the first year.
    What about the rest of it? The bezel is from the 1998 version? Older hands? How about everything else?

Price is too cheap to be real...

SeaBlues.jpg

2. SteveHH Jul 29, 2016

3. WatchVaultNYC Jul 29, 2016

I'm glad this post was not as incorrectly defamatory as it could have been to the poor seller.

OP this is a 2532.80: https://www.google.com/search?q=253...ved=0ahUKEwiTzvKYiprOAhUOxmMKHdLCAAsQ_AUIBygC

which is a real SMP model. Everything looks correct. Bond SMP with silver color bezel and darker blue dial. Lume has aged appropriate to this model and age.

1993 is the fist year for the SMP, but the serial numbers from older 1109 movements the SMPs used before moving to caliber 1120 sometimes map to 1984 - which is why serial numbers is not a 100% accurate proxy for mfg date.

And price is pretty good, since this is not a popular model.

And its not the same pic. Second hand is in the same place, but date is different. Maybe a lesson to do research first? Reminds me of someone on WUS who accused me of double selling a watch, when the watches in question were not even the same model.

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 30, 2016

Yep this is one of the early Bond variants from around 1993-4, not quick sellers. There was also a white dial version. I would expect one of these to be worth roughly half that of a full size Bond 2531.80 due to the less popular shiny bezel, orangey faded lume, grey/blue dial and the fact that it is a mid size. That bezel is not the same as that fitted to the later Blake/Sword 2255.80/2265.80, the font is very different

I do hope that the OP will acknowledge his mistake since he has in effect slurred the seller without justification.

5. SteveHH Jul 30, 2016

I would love to acknowledge my mistake but in my second post I can clearly see that the exact same watch was offered for sale as a 2000 model. For someone who is just getting in to sports watches (having found them pointless in the past, but not any more), the double sale of the same watch (using the same photo) and having one labeled 1986 and the same earlier pic labeled 2000 is just confusing as hell to a non-expert. Did someone buy the watch and return it so he just used the same photo over again and mislabel it the second time?

It's hard to get clear information on these sites because most people are already up there in knowledge and use the lingo that leaves us wannabe's totally out of it.

I didn't mean to slander Derek, I was just hot to buy the watch until I found his old "SOLD" pic (second post) with the exact same photo of the exact same watch, but a different description. That's damn confusing, isn't it?

6. WatchVaultNYC Jul 30, 2016

OP - you should be careful about posting defamatory stuff on the internet. Some people will only read the accusation, and not bother with the rebuttal. What happens if it's false? Easy to mouth off - while on the other end, someone innocent unnecessarily suffers.

I mean OP, I already explained to you that the seller's 2 pictures "of the same watch" are not the same picture and what to look for - yet you clearly either did not read my post, nor bother to give more than a cursory glance to the 2 pics you are claiming to be the same.

Again, with pictures this time:

This watch - date at 19, clasp button not visible
    [​IMG]

This watch - date at 20, clasp button visible
    [​IMG]

Also check how the photographs are angled differently. They're clearly not the same photo.

Edited Jul 30, 2016
  7. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 30, 2016

Firstly, how do you know it is the exact same watch as noted above? Doesn't it make sense that the two different photos and dates suggests 2 watches? There are more than one out there you know. Even if it is the same, so what? As you say, he could have bought it back and is re-selling it, or gave a refund since it developed a fault since fixed. Nothing wrong in that. You already have your answer from WVNYC as to why there is some confusion over the year of that piece and without papers he will be guessing same as the rest of us. It could of course also just be a genuine mistake, these do occur. There are several perfectly reasonable explanations for everything you describe and I don't think it sensible or helpful to jump to negative conclusions without any actual evidence.