Forums Latest Members

This one simply fell out of the sky (and onto my wrist).

1. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 9, 2015

I'm definitely not a watch collector. I'm much more of an enthusiastic watch wearer.

Accordingly, beyond the few watches that I presently own, my remaining "Grail list" is embarrassingly small: a 36mm-cased Rolex Explorer 1 (non-vintage), and a Moonwatch of some sort. That's it. No more. I saw myself acquiring my remaining grails sometime in the next 3-5 years, with no sense of urgency at all. Then, last Sunday afternoon something happened that blew my plans (or better said, lack of plans) all to pieces.

I was in the local shopping mall, waiting while a piece of luggage was being repaired. With a little time to kill, I decided to wander over to The Candy Store (a.k.a. Omega Botique). I was just going oogle the watches for a few minutes, nothing more. When I walked in The Candy Store, one of the sales reps who knows me well said:

"Oh, man...you gotta see this. We received a pair of them yesterday. The first one was sold to one of our VIP customers within an hour of its arrival. I've got the second one back in the vault, for which there are two buyers lined up already."

He ducked back through a heavy, locked door, and returned a few moments later with The Specimen. I recognized it immediately as an Apollo-Soyuz 35th Anniversary, Limited Edition Speedmaster -- released in 2010. The one with the meteorite dial.

"What the....??? HOW did you....??? WHY did they...???" I said, rather raspily.

He proceeded to explain, or at least try to explain, how a much sought-after LE watch released in 2010 made its way to an Omega Candy Store in July 2015. I didn't really understand his explanation, and certainly couldn't parrot it to anyone else. But the watches had landed there, just the day before.

I was allowed to touch and hold The Specimen, but it was so heavily wrapped in wrinkled cellophane that it was difficult to see the famous dial, or even read/see the engravings on the back. It was immensely satisfying, nevertheless, just being close enough to touch it.

Reluctantly, I returned the watch to my New Best Friend on Planet Earth, and he took it back to the vault.

My allotted oogling time had come and gone, and I began to walk out of the store. As a (desperate) afterthought, I turned back to that guy -- you know -- my NBFPE, pulled a business card out of my wallet, and handed it to him saying, rather sheepishly: "Well...you know...if things don't work out for those other buyers....would you please let me know?" "Of course!" he said, with utter sincerity. But I knew in my heart that was as close to those glorious, silvery sub-dials as I was ever going to get.

So that was Sunday.

On Monday and Tuesday, I recall checking places like Chrono24, and eBay, just to see how many of those extra-terrestrial treasures might be on the market. Five on Chrono -- (all in Europe), and one on eBay in the U.S -- listed for $10k. Yikes. No hope for me.

On Tuesday evening I was bunkered in my hotel room in lovely Bakersfield, when I received a cryptic text message from My Guy: STILL INTERESTED IN THE APOLLO-SOYOUZ?

I wanted to text back a screaming DUH!!!!

But I restrained myself, and replied: YES, CERTAINLY!

He texted back: STAY TUNED.

Mid-day on Wednesday I received another text from My Guy:

THE OTHER BUYERS ARE WAFFLING. IF YOU CAN GET INTO THE SHOP BEFORE 8PM TONIGHT, THE WATCH IS YOURS IF YOU WANT IT.

Holy ...holy!

I texted back: SEE YOU THERE.

And that was that.

And this is that.

IMG_0299.JPG

Edited Jul 9, 2015
    Jwit, TNTwatch, limo and 33 others like this.
  2. jud Jul 9, 2015

Awesome story. Hat tip to you.

Jones in LA likes this.
  3. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jul 9, 2015

LOL...great story, Jones...glad you got it...congrats!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jones in LA likes this.
  4. NT931 Jul 9, 2015

These meteorite dials are awesome in the metal, congrats!

Jones in LA likes this.
  5. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2015

I almost feel bad for the two schmucks who passed up the opportunity. Almost. But not really. :D

That watch deserves to be on the wrist of an Omega Forums member. :thumbsup:

Mad Dog, persco, JohnSteed and 2 others like this.
  6. Which Watch Next Jul 9, 2015

Nice score! Congrats!!!

Jones in LA likes this.
  7. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jul 9, 2015

By far the best 'I bought a watch at a boutique' story I have ever heard. Well done and congrats!

JohnSteed, marturx and Jones in LA like this.
  8. Drawarms Jul 9, 2015

looks great man! enjoy in good health! I love stories like these

Jones in LA likes this.
  9. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2015

In Noo Joizey, things sometimes fall off the back of a truck and land in your van, but rarely on your wrist. ;)

dougiedude and Jones in LA like this.
  10. randomguy Jul 9, 2015

Nice story, and fab watch.

Congrats.

J

Jones in LA likes this.
  11. Prange Jul 9, 2015

Outstanding! Nice to get lucky once in a while.

Jones in LA likes this.
  12. shutterlife Jul 9, 2015

Great story, glad to hear you got another of your grail watch. so what's next on the list.

Jones in LA likes this.
  13. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 9, 2015

Thank you! THANK YOU ALL, for sharing in the joy :) I look forward to sharing moments such as these with each of you!

14. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 9, 2015

@Mad Dog -- you might be interested to know that the Apollo-Soyuz 35th DID NOT come with the awesome box of goodies and gadgets that your classic Moonwatch came with. I found that aspect of the package to be a bit disappointing.

Mad Dog likes this.
  15. Bruin Watch Jul 10, 2015

Congrats on the pick up. Great story to match!!!

16. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 10, 2015

so, ive just emailed ever Omega AD and boutique in Australia, just in case......

Jones in LA likes this.
  17. marturx Jul 10, 2015

Sweeeeet! Now the only thing it'll need is to get vintage and well worn :) I'm sure you'll arrange that nicely!

Jones in LA likes this.
  18. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jul 10, 2015

Congratulations!

NK (Nordiska Kompaniet - a large upmarket store) in Stockholm had one new, unsold last time I was there - if anyone would be interested. I do not think they would mind sending internationally if asked.

Jones in LA likes this.
  19. maxtor71 Jul 10, 2015

Congratulations on the Soyuz! I'm amazed these things are still out in the wild after all this time.

Max

Jones in LA likes this.
  20. gee_cee Jul 10, 2015

Nice story. I'd be interested to know if you paid the 2010 list price for it.. :)