Forums Latest Members
  1. selwell Feb 8, 2015

2. selwell Feb 8, 2015

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 8, 2015

Hi there, I'm not an expert, but the experts will be along shortly I'm sure.

I think it's pretty safe to say, don't buy that. It's way too expensive at $7K for what it is. It doesn't meet the criteria for a 'transitional' as far as I can tell - no applied logo, short hour markers, no 'dot over ninety' bezel. The pictures aren't great.

I'd say you might want to spin through the Sales forums on this site. You'll find better watches for a lot less.

EDIT: the second one is better, but wait for the pros to comment before you buy.

All the best in your hunt!

4. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 8, 2015

Both watches are legit but have some issues.

The first is a 145.022-69 new moon with the rarer straight writing moon landing caseback.. See speedmaster101.com regarding the 3 different cases made for the 145.022-69. As a mater of fact, you should read speeedmaster101.com cover to cover. The only real issue with this watch is that it is way over priced.

The second is a 105.003-64 "Ed White" Speedmaster. The issue is that it has a newer professional dial, probably through Omega service, and that reduces it's value however that is the reason that the watch is so much lower than other 105.003. It also has a incorrect chrono seconds hand, which was probably installed during the same service. The chrono hand is less of an issue than the dial. On the plus side, I can tell you that I had bought 2 Speedmasters from the seller, Luke, and both have been fine pieces and each transaction has been 100% satisfactory.

That being said, I am far from an expert. The big guns should be of help shortly. Do read Speedmaster101.com, read this blog and, if you have $300 dollars to invest, use the first dollars to buy Moonwatch Only. It will save you thousands of dollars of mistakes.

Edited Feb 8, 2015
  5. selwell Feb 8, 2015

Thanks guys!! This is fantastic. Does anyone out there have recs for vintage watches I SHOULD buy? looking in the $4k to $7k range

6. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 8, 2015

Perhaps look for a nice Speedmaster 145.012-67. It went to the moon, and it was the last Speedmaster to have the more desirable 321 caliber movement. It's in your price range too.