Forums Latest Members
  1. Canuck Aug 11, 2015

2. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Aug 11, 2015

This is probably the key part:

“The first couple of years will be difficult for watches in fashion categories.” (My emphasis)

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 11, 2015

In a more complete version of this information I saw yesterday, it was noted that the sales figures they are using do not include a lot of sources, such as large chains like Walmart.

I would take the numbers with a grain of salt...

4. sliceoftime_ Aug 11, 2015

The way I see it, less people demanding "real" watches, more watches for our community!

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 11, 2015

"Retailers sold $375 million of watches during the month"

how many of those here on this forum are counted among those? I know, we are a small portion of the watch buying public, but as @kentlinardi says, more used/vintage watches for us!

sliceoftime_ likes this.
  6. pitpro Likes the game. Aug 11, 2015

Some statistics:

Wrist Watch Industry Statistics

[​IMG]
    Statistic Verification
    Source: Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry (FH), Convention Patronale, Bank Vontobel, Contrôle officiel suisse des chronomètres (Official Swiss Chronometer Testing Institute, or COSC), Interbrand
    Research Date: August 2nd, 2015
    Questions: Number of watches sold annually in the world ? what is the global watch market wrist watch industry statistics and research data on swiss china watch industry market share held by omega rolex watches watch manufacturing data ? total number and cost revenue of the wrist watch industry ? what is the total number of watches sold to men and women worldwide in 2014? Total number of smartwatches sold in 2014
    Share This [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Watch Industry Statistics Data
    Number of watches sold annually worldwide 1,200,000,000
    Number of smartwatches sold in 2014 6,800,000
    Average price of a smartwatch sold in 2014 $189
    Number of Swiss Watches sold annually 29,200,000
    Number of watches produced by China annually 663,000,000
    Number of watches produced by Hong Kong annually 354,000.000
    Average cost of a Swiss watch $739
    Average cost of a China watch $3
    Switzerland watch market share in terms of value 54 %
    Watch Market Leaders by Sales Revenue Annual Revenue
    Swatch / Omega annual sales $8,880,000,000
    Rolex annual sales $4,500,000,000
    Largest Global Watch Manufacturers Market Share
    Swatch Group 18.3 %
    Richemont 15.7 %
    Rolex 11.8 %
    Fossil (USA) 5.2 %
    LVMH / Bulgari (France) 4.7 %
    Citizen (Japan) 3.9 %
    Seiko (Japan) 3.4 %
    Patek Philippe 3 %
    Casio (Japan) 2.1 %
    Audemars Piguet 1.7 %
    Others 30.1 %
    Watch Sales by Type Market Share
    Mechanical Watch market share 77 %
    Electronic Watch market share 23 %
    Largest Buyers of Watches by Purchased Value Percent
    Hong Kong 20.4 %
    USA 10.2 %
    China 7.7 %
    France 6.2 %
    Germany 5.6 %
    Watch Sales by Materials Percent
    Steel 53 %
    Other Materials 26 %
    Other Metals 15 %
    Gold-Steel 4 %
    Precious Metals 2 %
    A watch is a timepiece, typically worn either around the wrist or attached on a chain and carried in a pocket. Wristwatches are the most common type of watch used today. Watches evolved in the 17th century from spring powered clocks, which appeared in the 15th century. The first watches were strictly mechanical. As technology progressed, the mechanisms used to measure time have, in some cases, been replaced by use of quartz vibrations or electronic pulses. The first digital electronic watch was developed in 1970.

7. pitpro Likes the game. Aug 11, 2015

Swiss Watch Sales Surge in U.K. as Chinese Hunt for Bargains
    Thomas Mulier
    July 21, 2015 — 5:47 AM CDT Updated on July 21, 2015 — 7:11 AM CDT
    Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

U.K. imports of Swiss watches surged 29 percent in the first half of the year as Chinese shoppers find that luxury timepieces are cheaper in Europe.

Italy, France and Spain also recorded gains that helped the industry eke out 0.4 percent growth in that period, offsetting a 20 percent decline in Hong Kong, the largest market, according to figures released Tuesday by the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry.

“The U.K. is seeing good growth from Chinese tourists,” Rene Weber, an analyst at Bank Vontobel AG in Zurich, said by e-mail. Luxury timepieces are cheaper in the U.K. than in Hong Kong, he said.

It’s a small respite for watchmakers, who’ve been buffeted by the strength of the Swiss franc versus other European currencies. The industry group pointed to a slowdown Tuesday after second-quarter exports declined 2.2 percent compared with the first quarter’s 3.2 percent advance.

Swatch Group AG, the owner of the Omega brand, and Cie. Financiere Richemont SA, which makes Cartier, have been adding staff in European shops who can speak Chinese to deal with the shifting client mix. In London’s West End shopping district, Chinese shoppers spend an average of 1,378 pounds ($2,144) per transaction, making up more than a fifth of international tourists’ spending, according to Richard Dickinson, chief executive officer of store-representative body New West End Co.

Italy’s 14 percent growth in Swiss watch imports made that market bigger than Japan in the first half. Timepieces with a wholesale price less than 200 francs ($208) showed the fastest pace of growth, the federation also said.

Greater China still represents about a fifth of the total Swiss watch market, and that region imported more than four times as many watches than the U.K., in value terms. The market has been suffering since late 2012, when China began discouraging extravagant spending among government officials.

8. timeismoney Aug 11, 2015

Or until the Applewatch battery starts to die.

sliceoftime_ likes this.
  9. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 11, 2015

Until they make a flip-phone version like the one over the visor in my car: I ain't buyin' ;)

10. wsfarrell Aug 11, 2015

Hong Kong as a producer AND consumer was pretty eye-opening to me.

M_franco likes this.
  11. Pvt-Public Aug 11, 2015

Tiny Iota said:
    This is probably the key part:

“The first couple of years will be difficult for watches in fashion categories.” (My emphasis)

Or until the Applewatch battery starts to die.

Wouldn't that make it about every 14 hours. :taunt:

Buckeyes#1 likes this.