Forums Latest Members
  1. NiklasARvid Sep 23, 2013

One small step for mankind, but one giant leap for a man…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Mexican 2915-3 arrived last week!

Everything looks good except the rather poorly executed redial. But, I think, and hope, that it may be redialed on the original “no step” dial-plate? Any thoughts? And how can I be certain, any markings on backside of dial?

I think I will just start by

1. letting my watchmaker repaint hands and relume hands and dial, he is very good and will get a good aged radium look.

But for the long run?

2. A redial to the highest standard on the same plate?

3. find a 2998 dial?

4. find a 105.003 dial?

5. get a reissue dial and relume it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well what about the bracelet?

I would never fork out the money to buy one if I did not have it. Does that mean I should sell it? It will easily finance a full restoration of the watch (Or a pre Explorer Rolex ref:6084/6085…)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2013

I would submit this watch to Mike's Pulmonary & Watch Consulting Services Inc. F.C.C.P. They have a lot of experience dealing with just these issues on this model and can work you up a treatment plan and prognoses based on a holistic approach.

UncleBuck likes this.
  3. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 23, 2013

Niklas, finally ! ::rimshot:: Many congrats for this classical chronograph :thumbsup:
    The dial aspect is really sad but with a lot of patience you will find one day the right thing to complete this beauty. I love the way how this BASE1000 bezel and the whole watch shows signs of a vivid past. And the hands are deffinitly the correct very early alphas

4. Dash1 Sep 23, 2013

Congratulations! Very nice. Imho it would be very sad to sell the original bracelet and ends, and it will of course seriously affect the value when you eventually sell. The dial is quite likely the original underneath the repaint, so you might as well have that one re done again rather than buy a new one to re do. But the best thing would be to wait patiently for the correct dial to come up for sale and have the funds ready to pay for it!
    Awesome.

Onfullblast and watchyouwant like this.
  5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 23, 2013

Keep everything as is and wait to find the correct dial. It might be a few months or a few years but wait. Keep the bracelet and don't sell. If you plan to wear it, have it serviced and get a new dial, hands and bezel for that purpose to make it a more practical watch - combining a newish looking dial, with a bezel with wear like that, will look out of place.

cicindela, UncleBuck and Tritium like this.
  6. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 23, 2013

Ash, I dont think so. To me, the step of the totalisators look too steep for that.

watchyouwant likes this.
  7. NiklasARvid Sep 23, 2013

closeup of crappy redial, sponge-painted? subdial...

[​IMG]

8. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Sep 23, 2013

Furthermore, the E of OMEGA is not wide enough and the S of Speedmaster, unliked to the p is typical of service dial.

9. marturx Sep 23, 2013

Good job Niklas!

Now:

1. Install at re-issue dial and a fresh insert.
    2. Start looking for the correct replacement parts
    3. Save money so you can buy them when they show up
    4. Go to church every Sunday. Pray that 2 and 3 will happen

epl108 and watchyouwant like this.
  10. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 23, 2013

that the print is not correct, is consensus here :whipped: ;)

We are discussing if the basic palatine is from the correct dial

11. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Sep 23, 2013

If you read me with attention, you can notice that I mention "service dial", not "redial". The printing is EXACTLY the same as service dials, as can be seen for sale by watchco or others from time to time (here an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151119583331Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network). It seems impossible to reproduce a typography 100% identical, unless he owns the tampography (sorry, the name is "cliché" in french). Thus, for me the basis does not come from an old one.

12. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 23, 2013

Ah, ok, sorry that I did not get what you meant ::facepalm2::
    nevertheless it is not the actual service dial form Omega for the early speedys as is shown in your eBay link. The totalisators are done in a different manner and especially the indexes are long at the actual service dials. The dial from Niklas CK shows the short indexes as they came up with the 145.022 In 1969. Maybe a service dial from this period?

13. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Sep 23, 2013

On my turn, I did not notice the short markers, I focused too much on other details. Anyway, even the service dials are complex. For your information, the service pre-pro dial they seem to provide now at Omega is the one of the 'First Omega in Space', with the logo not matching at all old style

14. NiklasARvid Sep 24, 2013

but isnt the printing just waaay too poor to be from Omega? the black is also almost glossy/half matte?

it is also hard for you to see, but on closer examination with loupe, the structure and glossiness of the colour makes me think repainted,

And one can also see very shallow concentric circles in the subdials (sort of painted over...) but where there that type of circles on first gen dials? if no - probably redial on any old 321-dial plate then?

bild (4).JPG

15. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Sep 24, 2013

Possibly a picture of Singer logo on the back could be helpful

16. NiklasARvid Sep 24, 2013

I'll try to arrange that.

And chronosecond + subdial hands should all be white? right, like this awesome 2998-1

Are there any thoughts on triangular vs strip tritium on hour hand? (I also have a NOS set with strip trituim hour hand)

2998-1.jpg

17. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 24, 2013

btw, Niklas, this awsome 2998 is also a 2915-3 like yours :D at least the dial is the one you should hunt!
    Main hands are not correct .

18. NiklasARvid Sep 24, 2013

...oh you are right... some serious "short hand syndrome" there....:confused::D

19. NiklasARvid Apr 16, 2014

watch is back!

I went the "improved lume"-service dial route.

I think my watchmaker did a good job, new pushers (one old was wrong the other scrap), relume on main hands and dial, painted other hands.

Couldnt be happier, I honestly think this black tachy/alpha hands/no nonsense chronosec/white subdial hands is the most beautiful of all versions! And now I have one I can, and will, use daily!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but note that I think there may be more than one version of service dials with applied logo, one "replacement for 321" and one "re:edition dial" for 861, where the 861 version has a nicer flatter print imho

[​IMG]

Tritium, TLIGuy and JohnSteed like this.
  20. JohnSteed Apr 16, 2014

Very interesting choice. Not sure wot I'd do ....

Skv likes this.