Forums Latest Members

This just in, Movado content.....

1. marturx Jun 10, 2014

In the last minute of this watch season, I managed to lay my hands on this very nice Movado chrono cal 90M

Movado, front.jpg

Movado, lying.jpg

Movado, right.jpg

Movado, back.jpg

Movado, movement.jpg

Movado, lid.jpg

I have wanted a good one for years, but there was always something coming in between, either the condition wasn´t good enough, or I either I missed out on the good ones that came out for sale.

This one was a real hit, original and untouched. Fantastic condition! Look especially at the movement, so shiny after all these years!

Anyone out there who can show off a better specimen? :whistling: :) Yes, a bit cocky, I know, but would love to see a NOS specimen if anyone have one!

Taybharr, tinger, lenny and 8 others like this.
  2. cristos71 Jun 10, 2014

Wow that one is gorgeous alright. :)

With the perfect amount of patina too!

Dibs!

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 10, 2014

Nice movement!

4. ulackfocus Jun 10, 2014

That's a score. :thumbsup:

5. Dablitzer Jun 10, 2014

Lovely patine, and I really like the case, looks pristine!

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jun 10, 2014

You knocked that one out of the park... Lovely example.:D

7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 10, 2014

Beautiful. 2nd dibs.

8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 10, 2014

Very nice indeed!

9. Long71 Jun 11, 2014

what's the case diameter? Looks lovely.

citizenrich likes this.
  10. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 14, 2014

I think the cal 95 movado chronos clock in around 34.50mm

Maybe 35mm

11. marturx Jun 15, 2014

It's 35 mm the crown excluded. The 2-register chrono has cal 90M, and the 3-reg one has cal 95M

12. Tritium Jun 15, 2014

Beautiful watch. Love the dial color and the right register hand.

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 15, 2014

Yes, a bit cocky, but not unwarranted - absolutely lovely example of a watch whose dials rarely survive in good condition. This is a later 95M - not NOS to be sure, but not too shabby I think. The dial is a shiny lacquer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They come in a variety of case sizes and models, from about 34mm to 38mm.

Mark020, Taybharr, Stewart H and 2 others like this.
  14. marturx Jun 16, 2014

A very nice example, Lou, as could be expected from you. I´m wondering about the dial, looks like 60ies, with tritium and all, while the case, pushers and crown is looking like 50ies. Is it the dial the watch was born with do you think? Looks very good regardless, but is curious to learn a little more of these

15. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 16, 2014

Lou,

It goes w/o saying but that is a seriously nice Movado.

Question? Are the sub dials machine turned or this a "cut dial"?

Movado is an odd duck because out of all the Swiss watch houses they not only embraced quartz, they gave Quartz a big, wet, sloppy kiss.

Anyone who grew up in 1970's was bombarded with Movado advertising for their "Museum" watch collection; at least in the New York metropolitan area. Movado even had this very dramatic sounding theme music for their brand. Anyone else remember the endless television commercials? I"m pretty sure Movado was an official sponsor of the New York Yankees.

I think this is the obvious reason why many new collectors are surprised to find that Movado was one of the premier watchmakers for many, many decades. Not a perfect analogy but it would sort of be like finding out that Hyundai was on par with Rolls Royce and BMW for the half or full century before 1970. Hard to wrap your mind around that idea...

marturx likes this.
  16. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 16, 2014

The catalog image below (credit: Britishshorthair on the Italian fora) will show you that the dial-case combo is original, but you are right in a way - the dial is a 1960s product, but the case design is from the 1950s. The ref.19068 case was only mildly modified from Movado's longtime workhorse case reference 19038. Your own ref 19048 is a variant of it as well.

cat2jewach.jpg

Not certain what you mean here, CR - you mean a cutout dial? No, it is all of a piece - have I understood your question?

That was a couple of owners further on from its period of greatness. Movado passed to American ownership in the wake of the quartz crisis and rapidly moved to acquire the "mall watch" reputation is continues to suffer under today. The Movado of yore was indeed a manufacture of substance, as you observe, with an amazing array of movements and complications.

Taybharr and marturx like this.
  17. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 16, 2014

Hi Lou,

Yes, cut dial = cutout dial. One in the same. More commonly found on pocket watches but still used on many wristwatch designs. I have a 1940ish Ulysee Nardin chrono with a layered copper cutout dial. From what I understand the process was very labor intensive (read: expensive). Watch makers figured out it was easier to produce thicker dials and machine turn relief cuts for sub dials and get the same if not a better look. But, you know all this already hahaha