Forums Latest Members

This is not a watch for you...

1. larryganz The cable guy Aug 23, 2019

I've made offers on "BIN with make offer" auctions and been automatically rejected immediately, without the seller even seeing the offer. My offer would be like 75% of asking price. Then I'd make a second offer for 85% of asking and get another immediate rejection. My last offer would be 95% of asking price, only to be automatically rejected immediately! They set the offers on autopilot with such a high number that nobody will reach that figure.

This has happened more than once, and with an eBay BIN you only get 3 tries before you are out of luck making offers. Why on earth would someone post an auction with "make offer" if they won't even look at the offers below a set amount, and that amount is greater than 95% of the BIN price?

michael22, Eve and JwRosenthal like this.
  2. larryganz The cable guy Aug 23, 2019

That would be Nima007 - I've actually done a few decent deals with him, and a few where I didn't fare so well. But the negotiations take days and days via text and phone calls. Sometimes I'd have to be disinclined to acquiesce to his requests, other times we agree.

Edited Aug 23, 2019
    Taddyangle likes this.
  3. OHS Aug 23, 2019

Sorry to say I've done this a few times recently... Mainly because if I ticked 'allow offers' it was free to sell but if I unticked the box there was a nominal charge... I didn't want to accept offers on the items I was selling but the chance to avoid giving eBay more money was too good to pass up!

Also if you start an auction a touch cheaper than the item is obviously worth I think it is fair to give someone the chance of avoiding a 7day wait to bid and just offering a fair price straight away and securing the item.

I used to hate it too tbh but it seems to be a quirk within the ebay pricing structure.

Eve and yande like this.
  4. larryganz The cable guy Aug 23, 2019

But seriously, do you really set the "make offer" to automatically reject any offer that is less than 95% of your BIN price?

At least 3-4 times in the past year I've used up my 3 tries, with the final offer being 95% of the BIN (in cases where the BIN is actually close to a fair price). I won't overpay unless I'm desperate, but some of these guys wanted insane amounts for things like Speedmaster Pro hands, and I knew what they were really worth and had to pass on them.

5. OHS Aug 23, 2019

Yep.. But purely to avoid fees and the stuff I've been selling has been priced cheaply to sell (mostly just junk that I'm clearing out).

It's really silly really as it only saves about 30p or something but hell ebay takes enough!

But I totally agree it's annoying from a buyers point of view... I've been at the other end recently too and felt exactly like you... On auctions I sort of get it as it opens a line of communication but its a complete waste of time on 'buy it now' sales.

6. JwRosenthal Aug 23, 2019

Sometimes it’s not worth playing the game. When my Sinn 103 came up, it had a BIN of $1.3k or make offer. It was full kit, near mint, with bracelet and factory strap & buckle. Buyer had good feedback and by his history, he was a watch guy. I saw the listing within 5 minutes of it going up and made an offer of $1.1k, then sat there wondering if it was too good of a deal to miss- so just hit buy it now. I PM’d the seller and apologized for the offer, the price was fair and I didn’t want to miss it. He responded quickly saying he had already gotten 4 offers along with mine and was about to accept one at $1.25k when I bought it.
    When it’s priced right, and you see the seller knows what they have- just buy it.

larryganz likes this.
  7. Lazy_Lightning Aug 23, 2019

I recently sold a watch on eBay, which received 50 bids from 19 unique users.

Through the listing I received 16 questions, which I answered promptly and in great detail. I did not receive a single bid from any of the users who asked a question.

Edited Aug 23, 2019
  8. larryganz The cable guy Aug 23, 2019

Well, would you please consider allowing the consideration of offers that are within 5-10% of the BIN price, please? But don't have all offers automatically rejected because they're below your reserve. It really is annoying to buyers, especially in an eBay auction where the price is already a little too high.

9. kingscourt15jwls Aug 23, 2019

Alex, can i ask you a question on online blogs?

10. JwRosenthal Aug 23, 2019

My father was also a plastic surgeon, said exactly the same thing. He would commonly say
    “Perhaps I am not the surgeon for you”

11. squarelug Aug 23, 2019

What does everyone find are the best ways to sell a watch, while we're on the subject? There are a few pieces I've picked up recently that I didn't bond with for one reason or another, and I'm new to all this and have had a hard time of it. Dealers either want to do trades, massively low ball me, or have been less than polite, but maybe I've just had a bad luck of the draw.

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 23, 2019

Never sell to dealers
    ( It’s in the below rules of watch collecting )

https://omegaforums.net/threads/condition-condition-condition-and-other-pieces-of-advice.1716/

KingCrouchy likes this.
  13. squarelug Aug 23, 2019