Forums Latest Members
  1. rhetoric Aug 16, 2013

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 16, 2013

I am not expert in this model, but lack of swiss made print in the bottom make me suspicious

3. rhetoric Aug 16, 2013

Thanks, I hadn't even noticed the obvious!

4. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 16, 2013

I found it odd that the photo that may have shown the SWISS MADE on the dial was cropped so it wouldn't show. Hmmm...

5. rhetoric Aug 16, 2013

Actually, looking at it a little closer on the Auctiva images at full screen there is a 'swiss made' lurking there. Hmm...

6. Hijak Aug 16, 2013

So this looks to be a nice watch at that money. This is a cal. 501 cased in England by Dennison as stated. The thing about Dennison is that they put a serial number on all of their cases Located on the inside of the case back, in this case (no pun intended) 59572. They also stamped the last three digits of this number on the main case body and the bezel, this can be seen in the photos. So the case is all correct and matching. As far as the dial is concerned there are many detailed photos, some even in natural sun light, the fonts look correct and the hands and markers match the "Swiss Made" (no T's) as there is no lumen on ether. The cross hairs seem to match up as they should, with the 12 and 6 and the 9 and 3' also the minute markers seem consistent. I think it looks pretty good and original. the movement looks really clean with consistent color throughout the different parts and no gouging from rouge watchmakers, a nice looking 501. If I were looking for this type of watch I would go for it but I am only learning and there are more expert people here...this is just my two cents.:)

EDIT: Some will put their noses up at these 9kt cases...I will say one thing they are a lot tougher and wear better than the higher content gold cases. Personally I think these British Dennison cased Omegas are pretty cool.:cool:

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 16, 2013

I stand corrected, it is there lurking and distorted by the crystal.
    It is a very nice watch btw.

8. rhetoric Aug 16, 2013

thanks very much Hijak - there really is a lot to learn. I'm still unconvinced by the placement of the vertical cross-hair in relation to the Omega applied symbol and the "E" underneath. But Ive relly only looked at that alignment on photos of Constellations.

9. ulackfocus Aug 16, 2013

Cool? Yes, I'll give you that. The color is a little different because of the alloy. However, if an 18ct case is annealed it can be just as tough as a 9ct case. It also depends on the metals in the formula. Iron can bleach yellow gold very well and makes 18ct white gold very rigid - but so rigid it can crack. It's a trade off between ease of molding / casting, attractive finish, and durability. There's a lot more than simply the gold percentage involved.

10. Hijak Aug 16, 2013

All this is true Dennis but you won't find any of those watches in this price range! A solid gold cased watch, be it only 9kt, for under $500 US.:thumbsup:

11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 16, 2013

I admit the alchemy of metal processing is very sophisticated. Not only the metal content combination, the process (such as annealing or quenching), the catalyst and the tools will determine the end result variation (which may differ daramatically). It is an art as much as science.

12. Hijak Aug 16, 2013

I wouldn't be so concerned about that...the E is fine and the line goes through the first hump in the M in automatic. From that wrist shot it almost looks like a linen dial, or is that just fine scratches in the crystal?

13. rhetoric Aug 16, 2013

Ta everyone. Don't think it's a linen dial, but fine scratches as you say. I'll just watch the bids now....

14. mac_omega Aug 17, 2013

This is a nice clean watch - go for it!

15. mbeast Aug 17, 2013

This seller tends to put up 5-6 watches every Sunday. He has some really nice stuff from time to time and tends to declare to the best of his knowledge when a dial is original or restored. Seems a reputable guy. Good luck if you choose to go for this one :thumbsup:

16. John R Smith Aug 17, 2013

Just one word of caution, which may well not be a deal-breaker. The second hand is too long for the dial, and overlaps the chapter ring. Recently, I have become aware of legitimate examples of over-reaching hands (calibre 420 for example), but they were all minute hands and the centre-second hand was always to the correct length. So, if this one is correct, it would be most unusual.

17. Dablitzer Aug 17, 2013

I bought a black dial seamaster from this guy. He is reputable. And usually (if he is aware) tells you if the dial is it isn't original. Most of his listings seem to do well. Partly due to his nice watches & photos.

18. ulackfocus Aug 17, 2013

Touché.

19. Hijak Aug 17, 2013

Good catch John...Didn"t notice that, always learning!:oops:

20. John R Smith Aug 18, 2013

Up to $1144 USD now, and still 9 hours to go. No longer a cheap watch . . .