Forums Latest Members
  1. micampe Mar 6, 2015

I've been looking at Polerouters, I like the bombe lugs and I found this one with a very nice dial (how do you call this type of dial?). Even the strap is nice here.

I'm not going to bid on it, but I'd like more informations for when I actually look for one in the future.

So, the dial seems ok to me, not repainted, but looking at the pictures on polerouter.de these seem to have 4 "folds" and this one has 12, but this seems like a lot of work to fake when you can just leave it flat.

The movement, the seller says recently serviced (looking at some of the screws and the bridge it seems to have been serviced indeed, but with a wrench), but that looks pretty bad to me, is it just aged badly?

The back of the case seems to also be corroding like base metal would, is this not stainless steel?

Anyone know what reference this is (I don't see it in the ebay posting)? What words or reference should I use to search for similar ones?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331492082521Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

$_57-1.JPG

$_57-3.JPG

2. woodwkr2 Mar 6, 2015

It's all original except for the crown and crystal. The pizza pan dial is a known, though infrequently seen, variant. When the caseback gasket breaks down and there is water/moisture ingress, you see a bit of corrosion form in the trough there. Same idea with some of the screw heads and balance assembly, where there are some spots of corrosion. In my experience this does not effect performance. And while this isn't the prettiest movement I've ever seen, I would not agree with the assessment that it has been serviced with a "wrench". The plating on the microrotor is particularly thin and doesn't react well to aggressive ultrasonic tanks.

3. micampe Mar 6, 2015

Thank you for your comments, very helpful.

Is the bluish tint of the crystal the telltale for it not being original?

My remark was probably a little harsh but I was referring to the scratches around the screws more than the rotor, especially around the retaining clamps, but as you said that's probably corrosion or stains, not someone with a heavy hand.

Do you think the price it went for was fair or low? (I was able to practice restraint so it's just for education, not comfort)

4. woodwkr2 Mar 6, 2015

I agree with your sentiment--it has been hurriedly serviced in the past. With some attention to aesthetics by a fine watchmaker, even the movement condition could be restored to a very high level... at a price.

I don't particularly care for that dial, but if it was truly serviced by a competent watchmaker prior to sale, then it went quite inexpensively. But until the buyer has it in hand and can properly evaluate it, there's no way to know. Hence the sound advice to buy from a well respected seller or dealer or plan for an expensive servicing after purchase.

5. micampe Mar 6, 2015

Thanks you Mr. Beaver.