Forums Latest Members
  1. NoHatMan Apr 7, 2019

So, just joined this forum in order to ask one of those "I'm pretty much 100% certain, but would still like someone else to confirm" type questions.

Long story short, earlier this week I walked into a watch store (fairly nice place, mainly new watches, but also some vintage pieces there, which is what lured me in), and I walked out with an Omega 30mm.

According to the resident watchmaker, the vital stats are as follows:

Ref. no.: 2639-10
    Caliber: 266
    Year of manufacture: 1951

I should've paid closer attention while I was in there, but it wasn't until later that the red flags started to jump out at me.

For starters, the second hand. Looks like the tip may have broken off at some point. (How I didn't notice that in the store, I'm not entirely sure.) Second, the dial. The minute markers don't quite form a circle (this is especially obvious if you look between 12 and 1 o'clock); the "Swiss Made" seems crooked; so does the Omega name + logo and/or the numeral 12; also, the numerals in general seem sorta "sketchy", as do the lume squares. Also also, some of the minute markers appear to have been painted over the indices (see 4 o'clock).

I plan on contacting the store and asking them to take the watch back in exchange for a full refund. But before I do, I want to make absolutely 150% certain that I'm correct here. The last thing I need is more egg on my face.

Below is a picture of the dial side of the watch. It's not as up close as I'd have preferred, but any closer than that and my phone camera wouldn't focus. Hopefully, it is up close and sharp enough for you to make a verdict. If you need more pictures from other angles, let me know, and I'll try my best to deliver.

Also, thanks in advance for your help.

IMG_20190407_123841.jpg

2. Hnansen Apr 7, 2019

Definitely a redial, and not a good one. Hopefully, you will get your money back!

connieseamaster and NoHatMan like this.
  3. WYO_Watch Apr 7, 2019

[​IMG]
    I think you already know your answer.

Unfortunately, you already bought the watch. We typically recommend asking these questions prior to purchase.

My guess is you paid good money for it though, and if they stated it was original you should definitely seek a refund. Google the reference number and you can see the watch above and others to compare your watch to.

NoHatMan likes this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 7, 2019

If the store questions your redial claim, tell them that it was confirmed by Stevie Wonder.

5. NoHatMan Apr 7, 2019

Yeah, that's definitely good advice. I already knew it, I just didn't adhere to it. Lesson definitely learned this time around.

Not gonna lie. That one made me giggle.

Thanks, guys.

Tony C. likes this.
  6. Mac5 Apr 7, 2019

Good luck on the return. I am 99.999% certain they will tell you it is NOT a redial. And then probably some story of how great of condition its in and that you'd be hard pressed to find a better example....

7. NoHatMan Apr 7, 2019

Thanks. I'll take it. The good luck, I mean.

I'll find out tomorrow.

8. durri70 Apr 7, 2019

Sure it’s redial

9. TexOmega Apr 7, 2019

And, best of all....…"the dial IS ORIGINAL, it was just repainted!"

connieseamaster likes this.
  10. Davidt Apr 7, 2019

100% a redial and a poor one at that

11. Millenary Watches Apr 7, 2019

Let us know how it goes! And good luck:)

12. stahlmotte Apr 7, 2019

Right:thumbsup::);)

13. yvrclimber Apr 8, 2019

Yikes, those numerals are not great. Sorry, I hope it works out.

14. Rochete Apr 8, 2019

NoHatMan likes this.
  15. NoHatMan Apr 8, 2019

So, just a quick update.

Spoke to the store over the phone just now. I mentioned that it was a redial, which they made no attempt to deny. (They were conspicuously quiet about it when I was in there, though. Which obviously doesn't change the fact that I should've done my due diligence, and failed to.)

They agreed to take it back in exchange for a full refund. Will be going back there tomorrow, and hopefully they will stay true to their word. Will post back here once it's over.

Again - thanks to all of you for your help.

Albe100 likes this.
  16. NoHatMan Apr 8, 2019

Argh. Was attempting to quote and then reply to Rochete's comment, and my reply somehow ended up as part of the quote. And now the forum won't let me save my edit.

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 8, 2019

Don’t fall for the in store credit or another watch...

KingCrouchy, starcraft and NoHatMan like this.
  18. NoHatMan Apr 8, 2019

Won't. Once burned ...

19. JwRosenthal Apr 8, 2019

Just a note from the peanut gallery, I have no problem with a redial if it’s done well and you know going in that it is a redial. No, it may not get every minute detail where it could pass as original but it should be 95% right and it should be beautiful in its own right and attempt to pay honor to the original design. The artistry required to do a good redial is in itself amazing and should not be looked at as a hack job....unless it is.
    I have two known redials that are spectacular looking watches IMO, and because they were redials I got them at a fraction of what a minty one of the same reference would cost...and it is the real watch-just a refinished dial.
    I think people get hung up on originality, and if you are a discriminating collector of rare watches then this is paramount. But if you are just looking for a beautiful vintage watch to wear and are not hung up on resale value, then go for a redial...as long as it’s done really well

20. NoHatMan Apr 9, 2019

Just returned from the store, minus the watch, and with the full amount transferred back into my account. [Insert sigh of relief here.] Now to find a 30mm that hasn't been tampered with.

If the only options were well-done redial vs. original dial that looked like it had been left at the bottom of the ocean for 50 years, then yes - I'd most likely go with the redial. But those aren't my only options, and so I'd prefer to get an original one.

Clearly I'm not an expert, or I wouldn't have bought the watch in the first place. But when I notice something "off" about a watch, I can't ever un-notice it. And it completely kills the joy of ownership for me. YMMV, of course.

Edward53 likes this.