Forums Latest Members

Third attempt , did I succeed ?

1. Gstp Jun 13, 2017

After years of vintage watch collecting my eyes suddenly fell on Longines this May. Being a brand I never looked at before this was a surprise to me. But I set out to get a sei tacche. The way Ive done this is to buy the ones Ive come across, which is of course very daft as I obviously has no clue as to how they should be. The first two is very Nice in many ways but the hands are wrong on both.

So when I spotted yet another I had to buy that one too. But the question is open, did I do better 3rd time?
    20170613_233932-01.jpeg

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 13, 2017

Relume in a vintage brown luminova and it's a great looking watch.

Jwit and Gstp like this.
  3. dodo44 Jun 13, 2017

The print does not look quite right. Most likely an old redial.

4. Gstp Jun 14, 2017

I not convinced you are right in thinking this. Was low light last night so I tweaked the picture a bit in Snapseed.

The first one I bought is just a few hundred numbers after this and has the same dial. Both have deteriorated but in different way. Looking at the sub dial it sure looks a bit dodgy but they are excactly the same. The way I found them - with old with worn to death crocodile and pig skin strap and enough DNA to clone both grandpas that wore these makes it less likely that these are redials.

I've added a another picture in better light, but still just a phone picture which means a bit of lens blur and maybe a bit out of focus.
    But of course I may be wrong :)

20170614_080805-01.jpeg

5. Gstp Jun 14, 2017

Thanks !

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 14, 2017

Just the hands of course to match the dial. Might want dial stabilization also.

I'm not convinced it's a redial. Although I wonder if the dial was relumed also. Either way I assume you got it for a good price.

7. Gstp Jun 14, 2017

TBH I don't know if I did, as I don't know what they trade for :)
    It's a little bit like when I started collecting vintage JLCs 15 years ago - just bought what I liked, some were waaay overpriced it turned out and some were really good catches.

8. dodo44 Jun 14, 2017

Gstp, you may be right about the fact that the dial is original. I was concerned about the off centered subdial, some of the font like the 5 in 50, and index markers that seemed to have rounded edges. The new picture shows sharper index markers. Subdials will concentric grooves are difficult to print. I have seen other subdials that were not that sharp. So you may want to have a winner. Examining it in hand is key and you are in a better position that anyone else for assessing whether the dial is correct. The dial has probably been relumed but it looks good. The crown is original. The most important thing to fix is obviously that green lume on the minute hand. Nick

pinpallet likes this.
  9. bubba48 Jun 14, 2017

I've the same feeling
    The subdial is not centered and the digits have different dimensions and imprecisions

Clipboard011.jpg

But obviously it's just a photographic analysis.

10. Gstp Jun 15, 2017

I would think that if it was a redial the concentric circles of the sub dial would be filled in, which often is a giveaway.

Add to that this picture of the sub dial of my other recently aquired sei tacche they are just a few hundred numbers apart.

It is as crappy - and excactly the same things you point out @bubba48 show up in this one too.

I say original but not Longines's best hour ;)

20170615_074939-01.jpeg