Forums Latest Members

Thinning the herd...new approach

1. corn18 Sep 8, 2017

I think it's time to do a reset and shrink down to a new core. I used criteria I saw here on OF:

1. Do I still love it AND wear it? (honeymoon is over for all of these)
    2. Is it easily replaceable if I sell it?

These are the candidates for divestiture:

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 5.16.50 PM.png

The three in red have already had their fate decided. The rest are sitting in the safe and if I miss them enough to pull them out and wear them again, they can stay a while longer. I'm 3 weeks into this experiment and they are all still in the safe. So we'll see how this ends. Seems like a nice savings account (if you use my wife's math for how we save more by buying more stuff that's on sale).

So this is what stays and is safe for now:

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 5.15.46 PM.png

I'm on my 3rd big G-Shock. Not sure why I keep buying and selling the same watch. On my 2nd IWC and this one will stay. The #ST is on the way so its fate is TBD, but based on criteria #2, it will likely stay unless I hate it.

Carry on.

lancelot and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  2. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 8, 2017

A sound strategy. I'd say that the Reverso and Sub are definitely in that category of easily replacable, though the Lange...

You are strong in considering to remove all the Rolexes :)

sdre likes this.
  3. Shailor Sep 8, 2017

Only having two so far, I don't need to go down this road.

IMG_0384.JPG
    speedamatuer and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  4. Traveler Sep 8, 2017

That is timely - I'm sort of doing something similar at the moment ... just felt like I was losing focus a little. I was going through the ones I plan to keep with a fellow WUS, and it started out with 'Well, you have to keep those five speedmasters, you need those ...' so it wasn't 100% productive :whistling:

Kmart, abrod520, noelekal and 3 others like this.
  5. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Sep 8, 2017

Speaking for myself from time to time I think about thinning the herd of watches. Everytime I do I usually give them to my Son with the stipulation that he can not sell any of them, while I'm still on the green side of the grass.
    Last time my Son gained three speedmasters one of them has a direct provennance to NASA. A couple rolex, Sub and Daytona. Now everytime I think about thinning the herd I just put my watches back in the safe. Among friends I have traded watches but I never sold a watch.

Edited Sep 8, 2017
    mikechi22 and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  6. calalum Sep 8, 2017

Is it just a coincidence that you seem to be thinking of getting rid of more of your higher end watches?

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 8, 2017

You need to keep the Lange for the white dialled dress watch. Covers the gold also.
    You should always keep a nice dress watch even though you don't wear it much

Shailor and Timmert like this.
  8. corn18 Sep 8, 2017

I think it has more to do with my core being pilot based. The Rolexes are great, but maybe I'm just a pilot watch kindof guy. The Lange will likely stay. It is just special. The only reason it is in the safe is I struggle with being comfortable wearing a nice car on my wrist.

9. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Sep 8, 2017

Even really nice rides need to be taken out of the garage once and a while :)

Paedipod and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  10. Kmart Sep 8, 2017

Hey, the GMT is a pilot's watch! Maybe not a fighter pilot's watch, but still...

11. corn18 Sep 8, 2017

The BLRO is a fine watch, but I found I did not like the blue/black bezel.

12. Kmart Sep 8, 2017

Fair enough, I agree! Never was a huge fan of the Batman either. Don't get the hype really.

13. lancelot Sep 9, 2017

i think a core of 4 would be enough to cover any occasion. lange & deep blue are definitely keepers. iwc top gun is also very cool. and a g-shock could complete this great trio.

14. lightspire Sep 9, 2017

This collection is awesome!

I would keep 5 core + a fun watch and sell the rest:

Reverso, Lange 1, D-Blue, Top Gun, Speedy + G-Shock

AveConscientia likes this.