Forums Latest Members
  1. Waltesefalcon Jan 28, 2017

I am thinking of adding a bumper to my collection and would like a little input on a couple of watches on Ebay. Thanks in advance.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/302203045465?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232211545747?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Kathmandu! likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 28, 2017

Stay away from #1. Bad redial.

Now compare that to #2 which is a very nice original dial. Case on this one has been polished a bit. I wouldn't go much higher than current bid on that one.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

noelekal likes this.
  3. Waltesefalcon Jan 29, 2017

Thanks.

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jan 29, 2017

Listen to him and you will never have a watch. :D
    I wouldn't mind to pay some more for a nice dial like that.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 29, 2017

I've gotten more than my share.

#1 rule is not to overpay. You will never get it back. However, a watch in better condition is always worth more. If the case was sharp, I'd double the price.
    gatorcpa

6. Willem023 Jan 29, 2017

As said: stay away from #1. Not to mention awful redone of lume of hands and hour-markers.
    ::puke::

Nice dial on #2. But rather polished and the sudden removal of the lugs on the 3rd pic ::confused2:: is interesting to say the least. ;)
    Cal looks sharp.
    Would stick to the all-acclaimed advice: condition, condition, condition

My2Ksh

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  7. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 29, 2017

I don't think no 2 has been over polished. There isn't actually all that much scope for polish on gold filled or plated pieces like this else the plate would have worn through. Not all 2577s had the the bevelled lugs shown in the pic on the vintage database after all. I do see that the lugs bottoms look a little truncated but this is a HF case so there may be slight differences between variations.

ps the 'sudden removal of the lugs in shot 3' is because it is a shot of the movement and spacer out of the case with the stem removed, or at least that is how it looks to me.

Edited Jan 29, 2017
    Waltesefalcon and Giff2577 like this.
  8. Willem023 Jan 29, 2017

Feel of course free to buy whatever you want. I like them sharp.

Good hunting!! :thumbsup:

9. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 29, 2017

#2 looks like a decent piece. Even at a couple hundred more, I think it would be worth it. Nice ones still can be found around the $350 range but it is a lot harder these days...

10. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 29, 2017

Newsflash...

Rule#1 is no longer true in an up market (wished I'd overpaid on a 321 a couple of years ago)

Edward53 likes this.
  11. Waltesefalcon Jan 29, 2017

Okay I have a couple more that have popped up on my radar.
    This one looks like a redial to me due to the script.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/142251674075?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

This one looks pretty nice to me, I don't see any evidence of the rotor rubbing and the dial looks okay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/252713030624?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 29, 2017

Would not buy either of these. The first is another terrible redial.

The second has the gold fill separating from the case. It is a money pit.

13. Willem023 Jan 29, 2017

Methinks rule 1 will always apply.
    It's all relative.....

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 29, 2017

The key is knowing an "up" market when you see one and adjust your price expectations accordingly.

If you didn't get a cal. 321 at what you thought was market price, then you didn't know the market price at that point in time.

That has happened to every collector on this board.
    gatorcpa

Willem023 likes this.
  15. Waltesefalcon Jan 29, 2017

I put a bid in on this one.

Now, we'll just have to see how it goes.

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
    hoipolloi likes this.
  16. Waltesefalcon Jan 30, 2017

Thanks for your input fellas I really appreciated it. I lost the auction, I went up to $465 but refused to go any higher. I am already looking for another to try my hand at.

17. Tom Dick and Harry Jan 31, 2017

That's a nice watch, 2577's, especially ones in good condition are moving up in value at the moment IMHO, I saw that one going north of £400 TBH as the dial was particularly pleasing

My tastes have changed of late, I still retain my inner quartz collection, which I know many of you don't get but I really do. I've brought a few mechanicals and I love them. I'm seeing a fellow forum member and friend who lives abroad in march with the dear hope go picking up one of his special bumpers, if I get it it won't be going anywhere...... period.

Beauty is the in the eye of the beholder, I own a marine chronometer (for example), most on the forum scoff at it, especially as it costs more than a good pie pan to service, does it bother me? No. Its the one watch in my collection I utterly love.

My advice is buyer a bumper that touches your heart and you can see spending many years by your side, don't consider the price but make sure it's 'the one for you'

Edited Feb 1, 2017
    Waltesefalcon and Giff2577 like this.
  18. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 31, 2017

Here's something I learned buying and restoring trumpets...

If you're going to keep it the rest of your life, what someone else thinks it's worth doesn't mean dick, because after 40 years, any "overpaying" is amortized out.

I suspect a lot of you guys regularily take a large portion of your collections and roll the pieces, and so of course you want to buy low and sell high, because who wouldn't? But, when a person is going to get a piece to wear and love the rest of her life, this nickel and dime stuff is just stupid.

Edited to add: A high-end mechanical watch is a crappy investment, really, if you actually wear it. For what you pay for servicing, you could have bought a whole new watch.

But that's not the point.

Tom

19. Waltesefalcon Jan 31, 2017

Tom, Dick, and Harry, VetPsychWars, I agree with both of you. The thing I am on the look out for is I got taken on my first Omega purchase, a Constellation. I'm fairly familiar with American pocket watches as I have been collecting them for twenty or so years and figured I could handle the purchase of a Connie on my own, I was wrong. My Connie had been redialed (though fairly decently) and the case was polished to the point where it no longer had any sharp edges. I really like the watch, I just wish I hadn't overpaid for it and now am a little more reluctant to pull the trigger on an Omega without a little help on the minutiae.

VetPsychWars likes this.
  20. Tom Dick and Harry Feb 1, 2017

Always here to help

Waltesefalcon likes this.