Forums Latest Members
  1. greasemonkey Oct 23, 2012

hi all,first post so be gentle with me.i have become a watch affectionardo over the last couple of years.thinking of buying a gold seamaster,a friend has an 18k gold automatic seamaster that came into his family new in the 1960,s. its in good working order.he never wears it so has offered it to me ,.as niether of us knew its true value he took it to the local jeweller for a valuation.the jeweller stripped it and weighed it,said its worth £800 pounds for scrap and said a fair value for the watch would be £1200 pounds.case size looks about the same as my garrard 34mm excluding winder..i know this is hard work without photos or serial numbers etc,but are the figures in the ball park or are they way out.if they are somewhere near i will go pick up the watch and give a more detailed desciption and maybe photos,thanks in advance ..greasemonkey

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 23, 2012

Can you describe the dial at all? and does it have a bracelet or is it head only.

3. greasemonkey Oct 23, 2012

hi, it has a leather strap,the dial i cant recollect too much i have only seen the watch for a minute or two about a month ago and my memory is a bit hazy,i dont think it had a date window,the back of the case is gold ..thanks..greasemonkey

4. greasemonkey Oct 24, 2012

hi,again, after doing some research on this matter i am led to believe that an 18kt 34mm seamaster case weighs 33grams .can anyone confirm this is correct for me please?,cheers..greasemonkey

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 24, 2012

We really do need photos. The quality of the dial makes such a difference.

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 24, 2012

I should add that if your numbers are correct, then the scrap value would be in the vicinity of £800, yes.

7. greasemonkey Oct 24, 2012

hi,thanks for your reply,i do understand how difficult it is to give any sort of valuation without photos.i will borrow the watch and take some photos and post them on this thread for more detailed advice,cheers..greasemonkey

8. greasemonkey Nov 1, 2012

hi,here are a few photos of the seamaster,sorry about the quality, it has a 501 movement no16501184, case no 910, back no 26910.the dial has a little what i think is called speckling but nothing to offend the eye.most of the dark marks appear to be debris stuck to the inside of the glass,it is two tone ,light grey inner darker grey outer .seems to be keeping good time.the case is 34mm excluding the winder,which i believe is a non omega replacement.its hallmarked 18ct on the case and caseback.the glass has a mark in it at 6,oclock and has a tiny "o" engraved in the centre.would very much value your opinions on this watch.i think it an honest watch as it has been in my friends family from new,but apart from liking seamasters i know near to nothing about them,thanks in advance ..greasemonkey

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 1, 2012

Looks like an honest watch to me. Dial, crystal and movement are right. The buckle is a newer style, but also looks to be genuine Omega.

I think your seller is a bit high on the scrap value. These cases generally are about 3/4 of a troy ounce of 3/4 (75% or 18K) gold. That's 9/16 oz. total. At current prices that works out to about $1,000 or £600. I think a fair price would be £800 to £1,000.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa

10. greasemonkey Nov 1, 2012

thanks for that ,i appreciate your reply,i am hoping its alright because i have taken a shine to it!.the jeweller weighed the gold at 33 grams.perhaps he made a mistake,that said i could not believe how heavy the back was when i took it off,quite a lump off gold in itself.cheers..greasemonkey

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 1, 2012

Did he take the movement out of the case? If so, then my figures are way off. If not, then the movement and dial probably weigh about half the total.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 1, 2012

Looks pretty nice. That dial may may some lose debris that can bee cleaned up by a watchmaker with a little rodico watch putty.

13. greasemonkey Nov 1, 2012

yes it was stripped before weighing.if i keep it which its looking like i will.i will have it serviced and the dial and glass sympatheticly cleaned.anyone know how old it is? ,thanks..greasemonkey

14. ulackfocus Nov 1, 2012

If the serial number is 16,5xx,xxx it's from 1958.

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 1, 2012

At that weight, your figures work. It's just that I've never stripped one of those earlier Seamasters down and weight it before.

Good buy,
    gatorcpa

16. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 1, 2012

It's a dennison case so it may actually be heavier than a swiss case - don't really know for sure but the dennison cases are well made.

17. greasemonkey Nov 2, 2012

thanks all for your knowledgable imput.its nice to know the watch is right,you have swayed me[although i did not need that much swaying] it will be staying with me now .it will be the second gold watch i have bought inside a month .i will have to put the brakes on before it becomes a habit i cant afford! cheers..greasemonkey

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 2, 2012

You'll be surprised by what you can afford if you try lol

19. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 2, 2012

Congrats, it is a very nice watch