Forums Latest Members
  1. Plumber Dan Apr 24, 2017

I know the pictures are terrible. I was hoping to get some input to know if I was wasting my time. I have been hoping to find a reasonable vintage time piece for under a grand. I think this may fit the bill. The seller knows minimal about it, he said it was in his Daddy's drawer for the last 20 years. He told me it may need a new battery, as when he shook it sounded as something was loose or rattling. I thought that was funny. A battery in watch from 50 - 60 years ago. I am hoping to get some better pictures sent to me tonight. He did say he thought the band was not original. Also, gold filled. On a gamble you think it would be worth $500 - $700.... Let me know what you think.

Omega.jpg Omega2.jpg
  2. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Apr 24, 2017

I think if you were to be patient, and diligently keep an eye on the for sale section in this forum, you can come away with a better vintage piece in better shape.

Sculler22 and efauser like this.
  3. DON Apr 24, 2017

On a gamble I'd pay about $40.00 without a movement image

DON

4. WYO_Watch Apr 24, 2017

I don't see that value in this watch. Gold filled isn't incredibly sought after, the patina is intense (some really like it/some really hate it), looks like the wrong crown, even with the poor photo you can see how shiny the lugs leading me to believe his "daddy" loved this watch before he left it in his drawer for 20 years. And +1 to @DON's comment on the no movement image. I wouldn't describe an automatic to be "rattling"...

There are plenty of great vintage examples out there for under $1k. You would be doing yourself a favor to thank the fella for his time and doing some research on what you are after. Luckily you are at a great place to learn more about vintage watches. Plenty of threads here that can guide you on the watch quest. Welcome to the forum!

5. Plumber Dan Apr 24, 2017

Thank you guys, I was sent some additional pictures since earlier. They actually made the piece less appealing than the originals. There are some terrible scratches on the bottom. Thanx again

6. novina Apr 26, 2017

The rattling is caused by a lose or disconnected rotor on an automatic. So more of a cost than just a clean and oil. Patina is heavy, water intrusion perhaps? Bracelet is not original. Expandable type like Spidel will chew into the lugs. In this condition, what makes sense to you after a full service and repair. And than, only if you like the patina.