Thinking about getting a G-Shock....

You think the zombies will keep the atomic clock signals on-line? 😉

Have you taken a good look at the people who run the government lately? The Z's can't do worse! LOL!

Have you taken a good look at the people who run the government lately? The Z's can't do worse! LOL!

OT, but fortunately, many US federal operations aren't political. The "official" atomic clock is about 1.5 miles from me as I type this, and the NIST scientists maintaining it continue to do a great job. The NOAA scientists next door are having a harder time swimming against the political tide.

OT, but fortunately, many US federal operations aren't political. The "official" atomic clock is about 1.5 miles from me as I type this, and the NIST scientists maintaining it continue to do a great job. The NOAA scientists next door are having a harder time swimming against the political tide.

Chill Dan. It was a joke. Kinda. One word... decaf.

Chill Dan. It was a joke. Kinda. One word... decaf.

Not sure where this is coming from, my post was just an observation.

Not sure where this is coming from, my post was just an observation.

I thought you were a bit condescending. If misinterpreted, my bad. I can get that way when I have too much coffee! Nevertheless, having been on both sides of the fence I can tell you for a fact that given my druthers I would rather have private sector types watching the clock until the zombies come. Enjoy your Wednesday!

My apologies to the OP if this resulted in a hijack! On to answering his question.

I thought you were a bit condescending. If misinterpreted, my bad. I can get that way when I have too much coffee! Nevertheless, having been on both sides of the fence I can tell you for a fact that given my druthers I would rather have private sector types watching the clock until the zombies come.

Interesting. I went back and re-read my post, and I think you may be a bit over-sensitive, or just someone who likes to pick fights. My post was purely factual and observational. Unlike some agencies, the metrology part of NIST (while not generously funded) has generally been successful at evading political currents. I'm not sure how mentioning this could reasonably be interpreted as condescending. So I don't really appreciate first being told to "chill", and then being called "condescending".

Also, I will mention that I was not the one who brought totally OT political comments into this thread, and my comments actually steered away from that, but you couldn't stop yourself from adding yet another dig in your follow-up with the "private sector" comment. I guess you are one of those people with a knee-jerk reaction that the government does everything poorly. Very shallow thinking IMO ... there are good roles for government and the private sector. I wish you good luck transitioning the atomic clock, the GPS system, the interstate highway system, etc. to the private sector.

Interesting. I went back and re-read my post, and I think you may be a bit over-sensitive, or just someone who likes to pick fights. My post was purely factual and observational. Unlike some agencies, the metrology part of NIST (while not generously funded) has generally been successful at evading political currents. I'm not sure how mentioning this could reasonably be interpreted as condescending. So I don't really appreciate first being told to "chill", and then being called "condescending".

Also, I will mention that I was not the one who brought totally OT political comments into this thread, and my comments actually steered away from that, but you couldn't stop yourself from adding yet another dig in your follow-up with the "private sector" comment. I guess you are one of those people with a knee-jerk reaction that the government does everything poorly. Very shallow thinking IMO ... there are good roles for government and the private sector. I wish you good luck transitioning the atomic clock, the GPS system, the interstate highway system, etc. to the private sector.

Lol, OK Dan, but I would look in the mirror if I were you. Have a great life.

Lol, OK Dan, but I would look in the mirror if I were you. Have a great life.

The utility of the 200-post rule is demonstrated once again. Some people just need enough rope.

Dan, why are you so intense? Are you perhaps a postal worker? IT WAS A JOKE!!!!

The new GA-2100 series looking great.

01-Casio-GA-2100_G-Shock.jpg

I own one, a GW2500 - I bought it for my dad for Father's day I think in 2010. It was one of the few times though that I knew I got him the right gift - he wore it every day. About 2 years later I had the misfortune of inheriting it back. I wore it every day for a year after that. I don't wear it often now, but it is one of my most important watches. IMG_20191017_133601.jpg

My family of G shocks.

Though had it been available then, would have gotten the Royal Oak inspired one.

Casio-G-Shock-AWGM100-Review-4.png
AWGM100B-1ACR
  • Solar Rechargeable Battery
  • Full Auto LED Light with Afterglow
  • Multi-Band Atomic Timekeeping (US, UK, Germany, Japan, China)
  • Black IP Stainless Steel & Resin Composite Band
  • 200M Water Resistant
When the zombies come, this is the watch to wear while you deal with the apocalypse!

$95

Might have to pick up a couple of these for Christmas presents. Passing on my obsession to my sons.

Huge g shock fan here... but negative display flat sucks.

What has your experience been with the negative display, @shoota70 ? I ask in connection with a Casio CA506B-1 i’ve had my eye on for a little while (the contemporary Casio calculator watch).

It also has a negative display and, while I think it looks pretty cool, I couldn’t help but wonder as to the display’s day to day practicality. I’d appreciate any further insight you might be willing to share. Thanks in advance!

I've picked up two G Shocks fairly recently and have to admit to enjoy them both very much.

I have also been attracted to the basic G Shocks although I wore a Timex in grade school.