Forums Latest Members

Thinking about a DIY Repair & Tools List - Advice is welcomed

1. yisrael42 Jun 19, 2017

Hi All -

I noticed this morning that one of the pushers on my 98 Speedmaster is a bit loose. Everything else seems to be running perfectly and I'm not ready to send it off for a service.

After doing some looking on the forums and on Youtube, this seems like a pretty common issue and is also easily rectified with some patience. The scariest part seems to be the loosening of the crown screw.

I'm pretty handy with these types of things and I'm thinking I'd like to give it a go. I found this youtube video that provides a pretty good look at getting the movement out - then it seems it's just a matter of tightening up the pusher and re-assembling.

Here's the YouTube video.

Additionally, this is the list of tools I think I need in order to properly and carefully do this job... the total cost is less than $50 vs. the $750+ of sending back to Omega for a full service.

To buy:
    1. Screwdriver set
    2. Tweezer set
    3. Case Back Opener
    4. Watch Case Holder

Already have:
    Microfiber cloths
    Rubber glove fingers (cut from gloves) - I saw this in another video ;)

If any of these tools are wrong, or I should be buying a different version, I'm totally open to your thoughts and comments. Also, if there's anything I'm missing, that would also be super helpful.

Thanks!
    j

2. omegasaso12 Jun 19, 2017

Omega service......750bucks

Give it to decent watchmaker to tighten screw.....no more than 50 bucks I am sure anywhere in the world

You buy all the tools and start diging.....50bucks + maybe 750 for full service + parts that you will maybe destroy afther you are done :)

3. wsfarrell Jun 19, 2017

You'll want a Pahawi case opener for the Speedy to eliminate the possibility of scratching the caseback. Fixing your own loose pusher will be very satisfying.

Pahawi likes this.
  4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 19, 2017

Silicon grease and something with which to apply it - for the seal inside the pusher cap and the case back o ring.

Possibly a casing cushion as it might be awkward to recase the movement with the case in a case holder.

An appointment with your AD or a watchmaker to check the water resistance.

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 19, 2017

I would definitely not recommend that set for working on watches.

You need watchmaker's screwdrivers, preferably AF or Horotec or ones of similar quality.

You also don't need a full set for basic work and three or four standard sizes will do the tasks.

Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 12.27.54 PM.png

Archer likes this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 19, 2017

PS: You will also need to add your watchmaker's details to your contact list and put his number on your speed dial.

;)

Archer and Jwit like this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 19, 2017

Your choice of tweezers is a bit of an overkill as well. Two good pairs would be sufficient.

Here's a list of recommended tools from a project I joined some years ago, it's Australian oriented but should give you an idea of the things you need.

http://clockmaker.com.au/diy_seiko_7s26/chapter2.html

Archer likes this.