Things you learn never to do in life…

…because it will surely piss people off.

From my field: All medical/healthcare people I know say this drives them up a wall: when I patient comes in with a primary complaint, gives a detailed and lengthy explanation which includes questions from the practitioner, a full exam, and then the patient says, “Oh by the way, there’s something else I’d like to have you take a look at.”

And this one I learned recently, regarding watchmakers that service vintage wristwatches: never, ever ask, even gently, with the softest kid gloves on, and in the most general, non-specific way, when they expect your project to be completed. They will either not answer back after a dialogue has been commenced, or tell you to bring your business elsewhere. Now I know…

Like 9
I hand it over, take the slip and forget about it until they call me.

Like 8

Yup, same here. Which caused a weird stir of emotions when my watchmaker called me the day before Christmas - to say Merry Christmas. All the excitement about picking up the watches before the holidays after all came up when I say his name on the display, followed by the disappointment of him saying „Now, I’m not done with your watches, but…“, and then the smile about what’s actually a very lovely gesture.

Oh, and we went through the same thing again on New Years. I‘m glad there are no more holidays coming up for a while, so I might be able to actually forget about the watches that are gone. :D

Like 2

Geez, you're missing out on the best part – stewing! :rolleyes:

Like 4
In my working days I would have the occasional customer who would come away with " I know it is not a big job for you so it won't take long"
::facepalm2::

Like 6
gives a detailed and lengthy explanation

If only they knew the majority of the subjective assessment 99% of the time is of little to no value.

Great strategy…unless you’re old. :)

Like 2
I never make complicated passwords for crypto, stocks or any other sensitive important information. All my passwords for everything are “I forgot” that way if I’m tortured to give up the information even if they have me on a lie detector they will still think I actually forgot. These are life hacks that have never failed me.

Like 7
Geez, you're missing out on the best part – stewing! :rolleyes:
Trust…I figure its gonna be 4-6 weeks unless there is a glitch. There never really is. Plus I have all these other watches.

Like 1
Always ask yourself what your time is worth before your question someone’s rate/price.

Like 3
I never make complicated passwords for crypto, stocks or any other sensitive important information. All my passwords for everything are “I forgot” that way if I’m tortured to give up the information even if they have me on a lie detector they will still think I actually forgot. These are life hacks that have never failed me.
:D

From my field: All medical/healthcare people I know say this drives them up a wall: when I patient comes in with a primary complaint, gives a detailed and lengthy explanation which includes questions from the practitioner, a full exam, and then the patient says, “Oh by the way, there’s something else I’d like to have you take a look at.”

And the very same people are the most irritated that a doctor’s clinic schedule is running late

It’s late because people like you are making appointments for an oil change and then showing up with a frame up restoration

Like 4
……..accept that it will go wrong and smile.

Trust…I figure its gonna be 4-6 weeks unless there is a glitch

You did write weeks, not months, yes?

Like 3

If only they knew the majority of the subjective assessment 99% of the time is of little to no value.

Interesting, as many experienced practitioners feel that you should have a good sense of the diagnosis from taking a good history. To clarify: that doesn’t mean what they give you unprompted; it’s asking the right questions.

Weeks. I’ve had only one that was in for 8 months. Polerouter needed parts. My guys found em.

Like 1
I learned the hard way to never cheap out on the service of watches of value, be it sentimental, esthetic or monetary. ::facepalm2::

Like 1
Interesting, as many experienced practitioners feel that you should have a good sense of the diagnosis from taking a good history. To clarify: that doesn’t mean what they give you unprompted; it’s asking the right questions.

unprompted is what I was referring to in above statement.

Fix other peoples computers.

Once you do your on the hook for what ever dumb ass thing they do to it for the lifetime of the computer.

“Last night I turned off the antivirus as the website told me to before I installed the free version of photoshop then it stopped working. You need to fix this as 6 months ago you must not have gotten all of the viruses. “

Like 10
…because it will surely piss people off.

Do they expect people to book another appointment to ask about something else? Seems inefficient (for both of us) to book an appointment for each thing I might want to talk to my practitioners about...

Like 2