Forums Latest Members

Things that drive you crazy

1. Burder Mar 11, 2015

There aren't many Omega AD's in the middle-of-no-where Virginia, USA. So if I'm traveling, I make a point to stop in at an AD to try on a few watches, ask questions, and generally try to learn something I didn't already know about Omega watches.

I stop in one while in Maryland, and the sales guy knew absolutely nothing about Omega watches. Total bummer. He never heard of a Tresor, didn't realize the diameter was part of the reference number, and tried to explain the minimal cosmetic difference in some of the old stock that was on sale. I mentioned the obvious movement difference (e.g. 2500 vs. 8500 caliber)

Needless to say, I won't be going back there anytime soon. I'll stick with my AD in Virginia - those guys knew a ton of info, and it was a much better experience.

Anybody else?

2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 11, 2015

I stopped at a Rolex dealer and the salesperson thought my watch must be quartz because it was so old. Mechanical watches are new right..... and they replaced quartz right...... so my 1942 Elgin UDT must be quartz because its so old.......

WTF!!! and this at the Rolex/Chopard/Alpina/Dunhill etc dealer!

does this look like a quartz watch????

P1000289.JPG

Darlinboy likes this.
  3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 11, 2015

It's not???::confused2::::confused2::

image.jpg

4. redpcar Mar 11, 2015

Probably don't know how to drive a manual/stick car either ;)

gophishin and OmegaRookie like this.
  5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 11, 2015

OmegaRookie and Darlinboy like this.
  6. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Mar 11, 2015

I think the problem is now non wis people have just woken up to watches being a fashion accessory/sign of of austerity partly due to the new Iwatch. Anyone under thirty would have grown up with a Quartz watch with it superior accuracy at affordable levels and the rise of the mobile phone with time InYour pocket. The rise of product placement in films has also helped. The younger generation are there just to sell a product not delve into the history of some middle aged farts indulgence. I'm sorry if I've lumped you with the majority of members of this forum but the higher end watches have usually been the preserve of the more mature in age. Don't get me wrong in 1981 my mate had a lcd watch that played "the yellow rose of Texas". He was the coolest kid in school until someone else had one that played Eleanor Rigby.

ketiljo likes this.
  7. lillatroll Mar 12, 2015

It looks like a cool watch, I shouldn t ask becuase I have persuaded myself that I am going to focus on omega watches, but what make is it and where can I get one?

Fritz likes this.
  8. lillatroll Mar 12, 2015

I took a first generation Tag Heuer F1 into a Tag Heuer dealer and asked if he could fix the date function on it, he said no becuase they don t fix fake tag heuer watches and said he should confiscate it. The watch was older than him and he said Tag Heuer F1 were all chronographs a so mine was definately a fake. He was left with a lot of egg on his face when I showed him the watch on google. He is a Fuckwit

9. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 12, 2015

Its a 1942 US Navy combat divers watch by Elgin. There were about 1200 made during the war and another batch run off for Korea.
    There's damn few left so good luck finding one. I got lucky when a local watch dealer offered to sell me this one because it hadn't been pick up after a service in several months in spite of repeated calls to the owner. I paid for the service, took it and ran!

10. sryukon Mar 15, 2015

Looks like it could double as a canteen lol

11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 15, 2015

In fact "canteen" is the nickname for this style. [emoji16]