Forums Latest Members
  1. MK1965 Jan 20, 2015

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 20, 2015

I'd start by figuring out what kind of watch you want and what your budget it is, from there start looking at the FS section here at what's available and at what price point.

3. bieb1 Jan 20, 2015

Mike, there are several UK based Omega aficionados on this forum, so I expect they will be able to comment on this particular vendor. And as Ash says above, start looking at watches on this forum to get a good impression of what is available and what good looks like. Good luck!

4. bieb1 Jan 20, 2015

Oh, and perhaps obvious, but do post pictures of what you plan to buy BEFORE pulling the trigger. Too often buyers get smart after purchase and then find that what they bought is not what they thought...

5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jan 20, 2015

They sure do write a lot of wonderful fluff (and they charge high prices for the privilege too). And I'm not always certain they are 100% correct in their descriptions.

6. MK1965 Jan 20, 2015

Thanks for the advice from all, much appreciated.

Having just inherited an Omega (Staybright?) watch from 1943 - see my first ever post "Recomended Service Agents in Midlands Area" from last Friday for more info - I am keen to add to this.

Budget is of a reasonable size and the intention is to be able to wear the watch, not exactly daily, but on a reasonably regular basis. I am looking certainly pre 1970's but being new to this haven't decided which series to concentrate on yet - if it looks nice, I like it (yes I'm very naive I know).

Forgive my very open ended question, but given the necessary budget what would be the watch of choice for members from the 1950's and 1960's period. I am leaning towards Seamasters, any of these in particular (have noted comments regarding dial restores, polishing and the like) I should avoid.

Thanks again,

Mike.

7. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jan 20, 2015

I suggest you spend some time looking through the WRUW thread and also looking through the vintage forum to find pieces you like before you consider buying anything. Then the fun begins as you start the hunt for the model you like in the best possible condition. Then repeat and repeat and repeat, because one will never be enough and the longer you look the more you will find that you simply must have.

8. Mothra Jan 20, 2015

I've just acquired a new sparkle dial Seamaster I'm very proud of - it's a relatively large vintage watch and they are a forum favourite. Mine is a chronometer and has a cal 751 movement, one of the best omega ever made. Search on sparkle Seamaster and you'll find a few threads for gold and stainless models. The other most common choice would probably be a pie pan constellation, but there's so many great fifties and sixties models you literally have a huge range to choose from, which is why people are suggesting WRUW.

9. bill5959 Jan 20, 2015

WRUW will be your undoing. Fair warning. :D