Forums Latest Members

There's still time to save the Great Barrier Reef from dying

1. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 19, 2017

2. kippyk Oct 20, 2017

I am pretty sure the person who invented the term "prime the pump" said global warming is a hoax created by the Chinese. If that is not enough for you, this individual is highly educated and knows words and has the best words.

On a related note, I met someone who dived in the Great Barrier Reef about 25 years ago. He went back to the same spot in the last couple of years and everything was dead. He was shocked.

3. tyrantlizardrex Oct 20, 2017

On the subject, this is well worth a watch:

Jwit, propervinyl and Kmart like this.
  4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Oct 20, 2017

Does this individual also have a very good brain :thumbsup:

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 20, 2017

I was in Cairns a little over a year ago and you could see the bleaching going on all over. I understand it is several degrees worse now.

Living close to another area where there is another dying coral reef, there is no doubt that the planet is being destroyed by rising temperatures, rising seas and receding polar ice caps. Whether the causes are man-made or due to natural climate fluctuations are pretty much irrelevant at this point.

We need to be funding research to try to reverse the damage before the environmental damage becomes real damage to economies around the world, not just in places that depend on reef tourism.

Unfortunately, the US has abdicated its leadership role in this effort. Our leaders should be ashamed of themselves.
    gatorcpa

PEIslander, Davidt, jud and 5 others like this.
  6. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 20, 2017

Leaders? We has leaders?

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 20, 2017

Well, they think so.
    gatorcpa

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 21, 2017

Watching crocodiles and box jellyfish end up on beaches a lot further south than usual is going to become interesting each year also. :whistling:

dsio likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2017

The one thing about sailing I don't miss is the damn jellyfish, while we didn't have box jellyfish this far south the regular pigeon of the sea blue blubbers have been getting exponentially worse with time to the point where it looks like some Stephen King level shit at times.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-02/wallpaper-of-jellyfish-wash-up-on-queensland-beach/8234454

In that article they say up to 35cm... which is crap, I've seen some of those bastards drastically larger than that and in season Moreton Bay looks like a blue can of baked beans that's how piled in they are.