Forums Latest Members

There's rare, quite rare and really rare....... Omega Chronograph contents

1. Tom Dick and Harry Nov 1, 2014

Afternoon all

I wanted to share a little something with you that I can genuinely say isn't something you will see everyday, I've long loved Omegas and when I first got in to collecting remember seeing a little enamel dial Chronograph in the display case at STS, it wasn't a big watch but I fell in love with it.

I have been collecting now for about ten years, virtually all of my collection is and has been Omegas, I've owned loads of nice chronographs includings 2998's and 105.003 Speedies and even a cal 33.3, but one eluded me.

Last year I got the opportunity to buy a project watch, it has taken over a year to complete it (although the watch was complete I have had to have numerous parts made for it which were worn), the dial is a NOS original enamel dial and the hands are NOS blued steel (both completely correct for the watch)

Anyway, I have had it back and been enjoying it for two weeks now and thought I would share it with you, so without further ado I give you my cal 28.9 Omega Chronograph

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By modern standards they are small watches (as you will see from the pie pan comparison shortly) but still wear beautifully and are far more elegant than many modern pieces

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The watch is simply stunning, it is working perfectly and has been a real labour of love for me, the only minor defect is the second recorder is missing it's tail, but I have a new one on hold in switzerland next time I go.

[​IMG]

She wears a similar size to my pie pan, although slightly chunkier on the wrist

Finally the obligatory wrist shot

[​IMG]

Anyway hope you all like it, I certainly do!

Dengar, AuBuyer, Dogmann and 27 others like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 1, 2014

Looks great on the wrist, I'd not heard of Cal 28.9 before, don't suppose you've got some movement shots?

JohnSteed likes this.
  3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 1, 2014

Very nice. What year is this from?

4. Tom Dick and Harry Nov 1, 2014

Thanks chaps

The C28.9 was introduced in the late 1920's, most famously worn by amelia earhart but intended as 'sportsman's watch, Will get some movement shots for you over the weekend. The cal 28.9 was the predecessor of the 33.3, although slightly smaller. The movement was produced until about 1939 from what I can recall (I've lent my JTT to a mate)

The watch dates from 1936 (ish) so she quite an old girl now at 78 but wearing it well! Ive got the extract on order so watch this space

Mark020, JohnSteed and noelekal like this.
  5. peatnick Nov 1, 2014

Looks perfect when you wear it as close to the hand as you do

BTW - dibs on the pie pan :)

6. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Nov 1, 2014

That's one of the most charming Omegas I've seen yet. The dial is very appealing with its Breguet numerals which are my very favorite style to mark the hours. Thanks for posting the most excellent photographs.

7. bill5959 Nov 1, 2014

Mega Cool! regards, Bill

8. Wongo Nov 1, 2014

That a dam nice Omega, hardly see any of them around.

9. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 1, 2014

Well done, a labor of love, and lovely! :thumbsup:

10. RCAFBuster Nov 1, 2014

That is a wonderful looking dial, very aesthetically pleasing.

11. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Nov 1, 2014

lovely watch; congratulations ! try to find a wider gold pressure ring for your crystal and insert ( cut to size before inserting). that will make a difference rgd. the gap between dial and case.
    and if you find a pocket watch blue center second hand with the counter weight,take that counterweight off and add to your center second hand with a tiny drop of super glue on top of the center of your hand. find the exact middle. nobody will notice that and it will change the look again..... kind regards. achim

12. alam Nov 1, 2014

A bit small for my taste, but definitely a sharp looking dial! I think it has a nice set of pushers and crown too! :thumbsup:

13. John R Smith Nov 2, 2014

Those pre-war enamel dials are just stunning, why on earth did Omega drop them from the range (could have been an option on certain models). Where did you find a NOS dial for something this unusual?

14. Tom Dick and Harry Nov 2, 2014

Hi chaps

This is the watch when I first bought it, complete and original but numerous worn parts, which are obviously long since NLA

[​IMG]

This is the movement now:

[​IMG]

Dengar and Waynepjr like this.
  15. Tom Dick and Harry Nov 2, 2014

The dial came from an Omegaforum member, who's a top chap and knows who he is ;-)

TNTwatch likes this.
  16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 2, 2014

Very nice mate

17. Tom Dick and Harry Nov 4, 2014

Thanks mate

In all honestly it seemed really simply when I started out, it was stripped and serviced and seemed fine but the chrono would reset properly, further investigation revealed some worn parts but it's not simply a case of calling cousins and ordering one. The dial was a total stroke of luck and thanks to this forum proof that it's not what you know it's who you know

I see projects like this as buying a vintage Bugatti or the likes, if you are lucky enough to fine a type57 Bugatti

If you find one in a barn

[​IMG]

The last thing you do is vagazzle it, you treat it with the respect it deserves and do your very best to sympathetically get it back to life whilst preserving all the things that make it so special

[​IMG]

The 28.9 is my little wrist version of the type 57

18. Tom Dick and Harry Nov 23, 2014

You know what chaps, I don't know if I am mellowing with age but this 28.9 and the Connie Pie Pan pictured above are now becoming the corner stones of the watches I am loving to wear. I still love my 70's chunks but I was wearing my pie pan in TK max home sense (I need a funky new dining table) today and the guy next to me (a trendy young thing) said to me 'excuse me fella but I love your watch, it's really cool' I thought to myself, either I look old (I am only 37) or my tastes are maturing!

19. Tom Dick and Harry Nov 23, 2014

One other thing I wanted to ask, the 28.9 has an oval'd lug (just one) but it is worrying me, my 'guys' can laster fill it and then re-drill it, I would welcome peoples thoughts! Although I accept wearing something this special is not an everyday thing, it is a watch I would like to possibly one day give to my son (who is currently 2 1/2) and I want it to be perfect for him!

20. mac_omega Nov 24, 2014

Tom, you meant "laser welding" - right?
    Yes, go for it - I think this should be allowed ;)

best
    erich

Darlinboy likes this.