Forums Latest Members

There Has To Be A Good Reason Why This Hasn't Sold...

1. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jun 20, 2013

2. ulackfocus Jun 20, 2013

It's not in very good shape for one. Can't tell you any more specifics but the Speedy guys will be along shortly.

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 20, 2013

Dial condition is poor and taking that into account price is too high.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 20, 2013

Yep, pretty much comes down to the dial. Now if the price dropped considerably someone would take it.

5. webvan Jun 20, 2013

I wonder where that guy finds all the watches he sells, has to be 100+ per year...that's probably why he can't be too picky but more often than not the price ain't right!

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 20, 2013

Like many other internet sellers, it's an arbitrage play - find watches in brick and mortar places - pawn shops, flea markets, antique shows including watch shows and the like. It's essentially turning your knowledge of watches plus being internet savvy into cash.

7. demer03 Jun 20, 2013

I've danced around it....what IS an appropriate $?

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 20, 2013

In my mind it is at least $1000 too high.

demer03 likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 20, 2013

Yet another reason why learning and research pays.

10. demer03 Jun 20, 2013

Thanks

11. toddmp Jun 20, 2013

man those pictures have been bouncing around the internet forever.

TLIGuy likes this.
  12. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jun 20, 2013

Once again - thanx for sharing your bountiful knowledge. Miki

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 20, 2013

......because it is a well used and abused watch.

Also the seller gets "Null points" for presentation, photos (really terrible) and generally making me feel like the watch is worth buying......so of course i think it might be a hidden gem!

but it isn't.

Personally I can really enjoy a watch like this. it is usable, open to improvement, though never going to be a collectors piece. But buying one like this is fraught with possible problems. That dial is degraded. You don't get that look without some ingress of moisture or worse. Therefore the movement is suspect as well. I have bought watches in this state where although the movement worked, I ended up throwing it out due to light but pervasive and invasive corrosion and decay. I would expect this watch to need extensive movement work. If it turned out not to, then that would be a bonus.

The case is dinged and used as well. It's never going to be a good case.

The bezel has that brown hint, which is either bad photography or its one of those older omega repainted bezels - which again I like. But seeing the colour of the movement in the photos, I don't trust any of the colours shown.

its a watch to buy for fun, which I like to do. But as has been said, under $2000. Now it is true, that nowadays we can break up a 321 speedmaster and hope to get around this selling the parts, but bear in mind each and every part on this watch is at the bottom of the condition range. If presented with this dial, or the case, I do not imagine myself wanting to buy them in this condition. Certainly the hands are dreadful.

if I was to go into my parts box, and build a speedmaster using rejected parts from over the years of my speedmaster collecting, I think I could build a better watch than this, using parts that I thought not good enough to remain on a watch.

i imagine a newcomer will buy it, then it will stop, so he will send it for service, ($650). Then need a replacement vintage dial. ($300-600). But then he will need vintage hands too, ($60-120). And a bezel, although that may be the one thing worth keeping. Assuming he doesn't have to replace the movement, (1000-1500). And still he will have that dinged case, with the worn sea monster.......

rambling............

14. rolexfantastic Jun 21, 2013

Is it me or this thread is all about putting the poor seller to the corner ?
    It looks to me like some forum colleagues now share this commonly and strange idea that they would no wear the watch; not even if it was a gift; thinking it will break soon after. So why would one approach the 'poor' pre moon ?

With all the criticism, i would still wear not to say buy the watch.

Maybe some do not have always the best options for money when it comes to overhauling the watch; or others simply prefer sending to Omega just to exclude any possible mistake. I can accept that.

But, what are the benefits from this pre Moon ? At least from my point of view:

The dial does not look damaged, the totalizers discoloration may well be because of a poor quality photo; if however there are signs of aging, it can be cleaned without having it refinished.
    The hands can be easily saved and eventually relumed in a vintage patina.
    The bezel is excellent.
    The case is first of all original, and i would be surprised if it would look different considering the bezel, the hands and the movement. You can't expect having an old engine in a new chassis. It can be cleaned up, just like the movement ring.
    The movement is not at all beat up. I see no rust nor corrosion at least from what i can see from that pictures.
    *** However, if signs of moisture on dial it's well possible to find traces under the dial too; but all of that can be fixed.

This one has still plenty of life ahead.

Considering that you would still have to put your money in it; with a bit of care, knowledge and reasonable budget, you can have this turned into a gem.
    Saying everything is at place, and considering seller says the watch was already serviced in Sept. 2012, if you are a picky collector, you may want to search for a dial, clean the case and movement ring + relume hands or buy a vintage set of hands. I bet it won't be more then $300-$350.

Now, let me remind you this is the 65 pre moon, with a Professional dial. In late 65 Omega turned from 105.003 to 105.012; so this is the first model with the new ref. + if you haven't noticed yet, + the Professional dial, introduced in 1966.
    The seller is not aware that the Omega c. 321 was produced only between 1940 - 1960; and incorrectly says the movement was produced in 66; based on movement #, which is not a standard in identifying the date the movement was produced.
    The watch is totally correct, it was probably retailed in the early 66, and is a rare collectible gem. If you'd add a corfam strap or the original bracelet, then it's a killer.

I'd personally say, although i do not know the seller, that the poor pictures do not make enough justice.
    Happy hunting!

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 21, 2013

I would submit that it is you. That is a rather strong claim. The replies are about protecting the OP member. The issue is the Price. The watch looks rough. Color of the dial or not, it is degraded. Even if the purchaser is lucky enough to find a replacement dial, it still adds even more cost. Serviced? 321s are no trivial matter to service. Are you really going to outlay that much money on a claim of being serviced?
    Yes the watch can be improved, if you wish to buy the watch and give it to me I would be happy to accept it.
    It all boils down to the fact that for the price in question one can buy a much better equivalent watch, and still have to spend some to upgrade it, so why would you buy this one for an inflated price.

16. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 21, 2013

If you are serious about your points, you would already have purchased the watch.

Hijak likes this.
  17. ulackfocus Jun 21, 2013

"Put your money where your post is." ;)

18. rolexfantastic Jun 21, 2013

I've bought even poor shape then that one and restored it brilliantly. In fact i can say the price is not inflated. You only need one buyer.
    For me, as a buyer, i am doing my best to find the best option for my money, and if i happen to buy a gem at a bargain price, i won't mind at all.
    Cutting the scourge in two, out of - or from - modern hypocrisy, i will try to give an example:
    If a women would date a dozen men before she gets married, what would she be ? If a man would date a hundred women before he gets married, or even after, for most it's probably something to admire.
    Following the above example, when one speculates or hits the jackpot, is absolutely fine, and it "blames" the knowledge, like it was ment to happen, so all of a sudden a neutral sense of normalcy is accepted; and then when one pays a bit "to much" in the eyes of the critic forum colleagues, it's like a funeral.
    So, i can't understand why would a price have to settle as standard if you don't have nothing to compare with..
    It's not caviar.

I would have bought the watch at a price in my comfort zone, but the fact that it's overseas, and having to pay import fees + VAT makes me look for others.

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 21, 2013

Wrong. You do have a comparison: what other watches in similar condition have sold for . This is now public record easily recorded and researched on the web, through private sales, websites and eBay. This is not a subjective vacuum. Just as I am sure you used some basis of comparison based on condition for your arrived at a price of $ 6499.99 for the 105.012 you are currently listing on eBay. Price and condition has relevance, you can deny that all you want.

20. Lex4TDI4Life Jun 21, 2013

x2. This thing has been around for ages. That enough is reason to steer clear.