Forums Latest Members
  1. ConElPueblo Jun 19, 2016

Quite often I stumble across auctions where the piece gets bids that to my eyes seem completely screwed up. Often a more experienced collector will then come along a mumble something about it being an uncommen, linen dialed, jumbo-something variant, explaining the end price. Others, I have no idea about (well, apart from shilling)...

This is one of them:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Con...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

£201 for this:

[​IMG]

A pretty common variety of Constellation with a badly roughed-up dial and i dire need of a service/repair. The case looks decent, but really?

2. lillatroll Jun 19, 2016

I would guess that a lot of the cheaper quality brand watches are bought by either dealers who will polish them up and sell them on for a considerable mark up or by people who think they are getting a high end brand for next to nothing. 200 quid might seem like a bargin if you don t know what you are doing.

3. Ravineman Jun 19, 2016

This may be the case but perhaps they simply want and like a certain watch more than you do.

4. Mr Bing Jun 19, 2016

Love the description...'I haven't a tool to open the back but the movement is inside'. :D

aap, ConElPueblo and efauser like this.
  5. fjf Jun 19, 2016

Well, the seconds hand is not missing...::facepalm2::

aap and ulackfocus like this.
  6. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jun 19, 2016

The movement sells for $175-250, the red service case is an easy $20, watch is worth more in parts than the $283 it sold for. If it has a 752 non chronometer movement, return it.

7. ConElPueblo Jun 20, 2016

Your hourly wage must be reaaaaally low for that to work out. Combined with the cost (both time and mone-wise) of selling and shipping PLUS the risks involved with purchasing a completely unknown quality and parting it out, I wouldn't go near this and I seriously doubt that anyone with the skills required to part it out would either.

EDIT: I should add that going by what I know about marketing and sales, I wouldn't try out any business model of this sort unless I could sell on the parts for three times what I bought it for. The risks and time involved would make it dead in the water otherwise.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 20, 2016

It is a Redialed and sold to a newbie for three times the price watch