Forums Latest Members

The Watch You Wear To Impress Non-Watch People?

1. WatchVaultNYC Jul 16, 2017

Yesterday, I was in a social situation where I had to make a good impression. We have all been there - parties you have to attend, and the like.

It is true that you should not lean on a crutch such as a nice watch - you should "let your personality shine" - but every little bit of help counts, which is why we comb our hair, press our clothes, and yes, choose a good watch to wear

In watch enthusiast circles it's easy - slap on your vintage Rolex sport watch and call it a day.

But clearly this does not work with the non-enthusiast crowd. To most, a nice vintage watch looks like something that was pulled out of the trash. So, what is something that you would wear that has "cred" to an enthusiast, but will easily be appreciated by a civilian?

My first instinct was a big and shiny Panerai, but I ended up with a 1803 WG Day Date. I think it did the trick. What is your pick?

Foo2rama likes this.
  2. jumpingsecond Jul 16, 2017

JLC. Take your pick really- any of them will do the trick.

3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jul 16, 2017

If I think I'm going to be judged by the watch I'm wearing then I just don't go. Non watch people wouldn't be impressed by anything I own.

4. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 16, 2017

HI

I have been in situations like that... last thing I would grab is a 1803 on a bracelet... maybe a WG on a simple smooth black leather strap... but The vintage watch you should grab should be a "Safe Queen".... aka looks like it just came from the factory yesterday.... NOTHING WITH "Patina"
    ... I would take something like a first generation Certina DS , a hamilton Ventura , vitnage Tissot Navagator , early Conquest or Connie... etc...

But just about everything I have has Patina ....

I Picked my Ti Blue Seamaster Pro chrono.... for my party .... and a few people noticed it...

one was a x Navy Sea.... pretty cool

Good Hunting

BIll

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 16, 2017

In most situations I try to never wear a watch which will impress anyone, and I always hope my watch will go un-noticed.
    It's contrary to my line of work to be showy.
    However if I need to be elegant in an understated way, well, most of my vintage three handers will work (except the tool watches), or a classic looking Hermès.

bubba48, aap, noelekal and 2 others like this.
  6. nurseford25 Jul 16, 2017

I feel like if you are not a watch person then you won't be impressed by any watch. Just wear what you like and what makes you feel confident, if someone notices then thats great and if they don't who cares.

7. Bushido Jul 16, 2017

For non watch people, we all know they don't give a damn. However, if trying to get noticed, I think any iced out Rolex or Hublot will do the trick. Problem is, if there happen to be any incognito WIS in that crowd, they'll tag you instantly as trying too hard.

For me, I will slap on the wrist which ever piece seems the most fun for the event and know I will most likely be the only one appreciating it.

Jwit likes this.
  8. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 16, 2017

I wear old pocket watches half the time and vintage wrists with patina the rest, so nobody is going to be impressed.

I do have a cheap quartz diver I wear if I'm motorcycling in the rain or engaging in some other semi stupid watch trashing act.... it often gets comments because its "cool" or "pretty" or some such thing.... kind of depressing when you spent a ton on your money on a hundred year old railway watch collection.

P1010266.JPG

rbob99 and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  9. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 16, 2017

seriously thinking about it... I don't give a rat's ass what people think of my watch...

I wear it for me.
    P1020807.JPG

10. abrod520 Jul 16, 2017

I'm not too big on trying to get people to notice my watch either, but if I were I'd wear the Camaro as it's the one that is most often noticed. Fortunately though it's usually to the tune of "Cool watch, is it vintage?" rather than "Nice watch"

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jul 16, 2017

I'd have thought if you wanted to get non watch enthusiasts to notice and get some shared interest/conversation going something like a TAG would be your best weapon of choice.

ossfm and watch3s like this.
  12. skkali168 Jul 16, 2017

Solid gold Daytona or yachtmaster ii. Size of the yachtmaster always impresses. I don’t have a deep sea but I think that would impress too

13. cvera Jul 16, 2017

Breitlings catch the attention of most non watch enthusiasts.

But the other suggestions on here would work just as well.

14. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Jul 16, 2017

As I've said before, I wear watches for me, not for anyone else. So whichever one I enjoy most for that occasion is what I'll pick. I do try to keep it appropriate for the event. Formal a someone formal watch. Casual and more sporty watch. And I try to match my leathers as often as possible.

Other than that I just pick what makes me happy.

Paulomega and R3D9 like this.
  15. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 16, 2017

If you have a big date, wear a watch with a BIG DATE::bleh::
    IMG_4585.JPG

Dre, ossfm, nlogax and 16 others like this.
  16. corn18 Jul 16, 2017

I'd probably wear a Reverso.

rcs914 and watch3s like this.
  17. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 16, 2017

I don't want people to know what I am wearing. If I know ahead of time I'm going to be in a situation like that then I will wear the Invicta.

I really only hear comments when I'm wearing the modern ploprof. Just a casual nice watch. No idea it's an Omega.

Once somebody noticed I was wearing an Omega. He commented that he hoped to buy an Omega one day. He had no idea i was wearing an Ed White. He just knew Omega watches were nice and a bit pricey.

I just don't want people in my business. I don't even talk watches with my non watch friends.

gemini4 likes this.
  18. R3D9 Jul 16, 2017

I'm pretty sure a Submariner is as famous as Micheal Jordan, Muhammad Ali or Tiger Woods. You're pretty safe wearing one if your desire is to impress non-watch aficionados. Make it two-tone if you really want to knock their socks off.

Personally, my preference is that non-watch nerds have no clue what I'm wearing but I love when a watch-lover notices... great conversations usually ensue.

19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 16, 2017

Stopped caring. I wear what I feel like wearing.

Papa Legba, nixf6, marco and 8 others like this.
  20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 16, 2017

My Sinn 903 as it's a "Navitimer" and the watch is iconic with years of marketing.

While I don't own one. Any oyster case with a cyclops is going to stand out to anyone as a Rolex and that's basically the only thing that impresses non watch people. My GF before she got into watches tried on a Patek Grand Complication and had no idea it was a 500k watch. In its defense part of the charm is that it looks so simple.

Jwit, WatchVaultNYC and R3D9 like this.