Forums Latest Members

The Watch Editor’s Pick – Kristian Haagen

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jan 27, 2014

[​IMG]

Chronos24.pl and Fratellowatches.com are proud to present you this new, special, bi-weekly section dedicated to our fellow watch journalists and bloggers. Ever wondered what they really like? – read on. Without going into the long-lasting dispute about who is a journalist, who is a blogger, and which of this two is better (like it matters) we tried to find out about a more interesting topic: what are the personal favorite watches of watch editors and which timepieces would they purchase when having unlimited resources. In the next coming weeks (every other Monday) we will bring you some of the biggest […]
    Click here to read the entire article: The Watch Editor’s Pick – Kristian Haagen

2. ulackfocus Jan 27, 2014

A Lange DatoGraph is not "the most expensive nor rare watch in the world."? :unsure: Boy, he just gave a lot of readers an inferiority complex! :p

….. and his recommendation for a new collector is a Speedmaster. ::facepalm2:: He must be a WUS member to give such trite advice. :(

3. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jan 27, 2014

I believe that it should be placed into the right context. It is very easy for someone just to mention the most expensive watch in the world when being asked what their holy grail is. I think he wants to stress that it is not about money but that he actually really likes this watch for a number of reasons [that he states in the interview]. I bet that after the SIHH, a lot of people would have mentioned the JLC Hybris Mechanica 11 with a 350K Euro price tag or the Terraluna by Lange for 185K Euro to be their holy grail watch :)

Regarding the advice he gives to new collectors with a 1500 euro budget, he indeed mentions the Speedmaster as a nice option and to seek out for (vintage) Seiko chronograph watches. I don't see the problem actually. Although it will be difficult to get a nice Speedmaster for 1500 euro these days, I do believe it is one of the best buys you can do as a new comer in the world of collecting watches.

4. ulackfocus Jan 27, 2014

You're gonna have pics, right? You gotta post pics!

Not saying it's bad advice RJ, just the easy way out. Everybody says "Speedmaster" as if it's a programmed response. I'd hope somebody in the watch world as deep as he is would give a unique insight.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 27, 2014

Dennis just doesn't have a Speedmaster yet, which is why he doesn't accept that its the right answer :p

6. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jan 27, 2014

We will :) As soon as I have the time to power up Lightroom and process the photos I took during the SIHH.

Ah, but we do that every week on Fratellowatches ulackfocus. I am pretty deep in it as well, working for several publications and with my research company for watch brands :)

7. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Jan 27, 2014

How come he is a moderator here ? You just NEED one (or at least one that is) :)

8. ulackfocus Jan 27, 2014

Correction to the wording: "Dennis has never been infected by Speedmasters, and is tired of hearing 'get a Speedmaster' even when somebody asks for recommendations on dress watches." ;)

€1500 will get you a VERY nice Constellation Pie Pan in stainless or gold capped, including a correct Omega buckle, with money left over for servicing and a strap. Even that suggestion is banal. At that budget ($2049 / £1238) you can buy an 18K Longines date at 12 caliber 341 Flagship or 18K no date caliber 290 Conquest with a solid gold dial. There are some interesting Heuers to be had, including the Chronomatics like the Autavia 1163. The El Primero is still within that range with some luck on the right reference.

:taunt: They only keep me around to handle the Longines questions and make bad puns.

Just don't like the way they sit on my wrist. There are hundreds of other watches I'd rather spend the money on.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 27, 2014

Dennis is sort of built like a large Meerkat which is why 42mm doesn't work for him :coffee:

ulackfocus likes this.
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 27, 2014

I do have to say, Don't go messing around with our Dennis. You do something like that and there is no telling where it will end up. We could have
    an "I, Robot" situation on our hands. :rolleyes:

irobot.jpg