Forums Latest Members

The ultimate memorabilia....

1. careless_whisper Jul 6, 2020

Capcom and Duracuir1 like this.
  2. M'Bob Jul 6, 2020

Would rather have his watch...

MikiJ, Duracuir1 and janice&fred like this.
  3. Evitzee Jul 6, 2020

Would be a cool place to live, classic mid-60's design. Very reasonable price, too.

The NASA of today is not interested in its history, unfortunately. It's now forward looking, whatever that is worth. After the moon landings NASA just lost all focus and haven't really regained it since.

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 6, 2020

you could buy a few of his houses....

M'Bob and Duracuir1 like this.
  5. Evitzee Jul 6, 2020

Would rather have Aldrin's Speedmaster…..wherever it is. It's so ironic that the most famous, and historically valuable, Speedmaster in existence has been missing for decades. Someone, somewhere has it.....are they alive or is it in some safe deposit box somewhere?.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  6. janice&fred Jul 6, 2020

I am very much alive so let's talk numbers :D

Duracuir1 likes this.
  7. lillatroll Jul 7, 2020

If someone did have his watch would they be able to keep it/sell it or would they have to give it back to NASA or Omega?.......Asking for a friend.:whistling:

janice&fred, DaveK and Duracuir1 like this.
  8. RonJ Jul 7, 2020

DaveK and Duracuir1 like this.
  9. RonJ Jul 7, 2020

I'm sure the Neil Armstrong Apollo 11 watch has been discusses many times before on this website, but I just noticed that the Smithsonian posted pictures of its caseback and movement. I didn't realize that info was available on the Air & Space Museum website.

airandspace-omega-speedmaster-movement.jpg airandspace-omega-speedmaster-caseback.jpg

Foo2rama, Duracuir1 and Pearcey74 like this.
  10. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Jul 7, 2020

Hey! We’re talking real estate here! Why does every subject turn into watch talk?

By the way, John Glenn was in a movie called “the Rock” and there’s a recovered microfilm at the end of the movie.

It contains info about Aldrin’s watch. The watch is hidden in the walls of Armstrong’s house.

1F2E9526-C83A-4A24-B0D9-6D59F2924845.jpeg

M'Bob and DaveK like this.
  11. careless_whisper Jul 7, 2020

;)
    that’s not John Glen, looks a lot like gene kranz though. ;)

Duracuir1 likes this.
  12. Widows Son Jul 7, 2020

Whoever stole it from his hotel room probably pawned it. It's either in a landfill somewhere, or the new "owner" has no idea what they have!!!

13. pdxleaf ... Jul 7, 2020

I understand that you are lamenting the missed opportunity to recognize the historical value of this house, but I think NASA doesn't deserve the blame. They have historians and have attempted to recognize their past achievements within their budget and congressional mandate.

There are ways to place a building onto the historical registry or recognize it in other ways. Yes, it'd be nice to have the government lead the effort but there are ways for private citizens to do it. Many similar homes are often preserved when a group of concerned citizens act. For example, if 70k OF members contribued $5.50 USD we could buy the house and turn it into a museum or charge people to sleep in Neil's bedroom.

But it is not fair to blame NASA IMHO.

Archer and Dsloan like this.
  14. careless_whisper Jul 7, 2020

Sign me up for a $5.50 donation.

pdxleaf likes this.