Forums Latest Members

The Ultimate 1970's Cool...... Very Rare Omega Content.... Not For The Faint Hearted

1. Tom Dick and Harry Mar 10, 2013

Morning all

Well, been away for a couple of days and got home last night to a VERY pleasant surprise!

Now, I accept that there are a great many people on the forum of the 'purist' variety that firstly are not an enormous fan of some of the designs that came out of the 1970's and secondly the odd individual that feels that quartz watches are just not really tennis and lack some sort of mystical horology 'soul'..... I am neither

Being a baby of the 1970's and having a true love for 1970's cool I have dedicated my watch collection focus to Omegas of the late 1960's and 1970's and more over some of the early HEQ Omegas of the time, for me they really represent the most exciting period of watch making in the last 75 year and the peak of Omegas watch making prowess.

So to business, about three weeks back I spotted a watch on evilbay, a non runner with terrible pics but I recognised it instantly as a watch I have wanted for some time but very very rarely seen, I took a gamble and the long and the short of it was I won it, it wasn't 'cheap' but for me it was worth a risk, pics showed it appearing to be in good cosmetic condition but with what looked like damage to the dial.

I arrived home last night and apprehensively open the package

First I realised the watch was NOS with only storage marks! RESULT............. sadly the crystal was heavily milked indicating a major battery leak which had probably wrecked the movement and dial, I unscrewed the case back to reveal the original SSH mercury battery!!!!

I slowly removed the movement................... carefully removed the original battery and checked the case......the fogging was on the crystal only and the dial and hands were mint RESULT...........

SO, I took the old battery out and put a new one in...................... and............. away she went, to date shes bang on time against my Marine Chronometer

So, what was all this about, well I give you the ultimate in 1970's quartz cool by Omega... the mirror dial, Speedmaster 125 case style, Megaquartz 32Khz.. one rare rare beast but not one for the faint hearted and perhaps some might say a little garish!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not for everyone and many forum members will think I am nuts but this is a very rare watch and something you really don't see every day, to find a NOS one with the original battery still fitted is like opening the barn door and finding a brand new 911S with no miles on the clock and as it left the factory!

Cheers Tom

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 10, 2013

Remarkably clean, deeply unfashionable, and very cool Tom! There's a level of wrist presence that comes with the 1970s big block Omegas that even a modern Panerai can't match. Even has the goop on the back from the factory which is impressive

3. Wheels Mar 10, 2013

That's beautiful Tom. Being a 70s fan myself, I can relate. I used to own three Omega tuning forks but I moved them on for a quality Rolex.

4. Tom Dick and Harry Mar 10, 2013

Thanks chaps, really pleased with this one, it's the first of a few new Vintage Omega arrivals over the coming couple of weeks so watch this space

Cheers Tom

5. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 10, 2013

If there's something we need more of around here, it's late 60's and 70's watches. Great find. :D

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 10, 2013

I posted earlier but forgot to hit the command button.

I reckon it's a pearler!!! (old Aussie slang for something very nice).

And my green-eyed monster is nibbling at my ear ;)

7. ulackfocus Mar 10, 2013

I'd love to see a close-up of the dial.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 10, 2013

Hey, I like it better than a Flightmaster :D

9. alam Mar 10, 2013

Now, that's a chunky and crispy watch! :thumbsup: Love the case back, what size is the case? I know most pictures tend to make watches on the wrist look much bigger ...

Dablitzer likes this.
  10. Tom Dick and Harry Mar 10, 2013

Its very similar in dimensions to the Speedy 125, roughly 40 (ex crown) X 48mm, the profile (thickness) is less due to the 1310 movement but it still wears huge

11. jorge Mar 10, 2013

serendipity, lovely watch sir

12. ulackfocus Mar 10, 2013

Oooo, Salma Hayek was hot in that role!

salma_hayek_37.jpg

13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 10, 2013

14. Jaguar Mar 11, 2013

Very good - Congratulation - !

15. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 11, 2013

You're thinking of a different film :p