Forums Latest Members

The two faces of the Reverso Bleu

1. pcdubc Apr 1, 2015

Dear all,

I'm writing about the Bleu that is currently resting on my wrist.

When I first saw the non-bleu variant, I instantly fell in love. I travel between Taipei and Chicago quite often, so the Duo face is functionally appealing. In terms of aesthetics, the silver/black combination was refined, austere, and regal. I loved all aspects of it.

After some due-diligence, I discovered the Bleu. To be frank, I initially preferred the standard version, as the the symmetry and contrast between black and white really spoke to me, and the monochrome color scheme makes the watch versatile. The Bleu, on the other hand, would be hard to pull-off with a red- or green-toned outfit.

But there was something about the Bleu that kept me curious, and the more I see pictures of the Bleu, the more I miss it. Despite its rarity (only 200 pieces as of today, but JLC is planning to release some more in the fall), I was fortunate to find a near-mint example on TZ and impulse took over. My excitement is mingled with the fear that the Bleu lacquered dial won't sing to me in the flesh.

I have never been more wrong.

Two days later, the Bleu arrived. I strapped it on with the brown Casa Fagliano, and was rendered speechless. The two faces have different appeals. I smile whenever I turn to the other face - but the two smiles reflect very different sentiments.

The silver side of the watch is drop-dead-gorgeous. The combination of the elaborate dial layout, the opaline silver hue, and the Clous de Paris guilloché delivers vibrancy and elegance. A glance at her sends my heart racing. The sentiment is similar to spotting the lively and beautiful "Girl from Ipanena", with whom you remain infatuated as she passes by.

The front side is Bleu, the type of blue that is dense and still. Combine this with the minimalist dial design, the Bleu face is silent. The highly polished rhodium hands shines amidst the quiet blue like ripples on the surface of the sea, giving tremendous depth to the dial. And like the sea, it lures and captivates. Once removed, you long for it dearly. I don't turn to the Bleu; I go home to the Bleu.

The contrasting sentiments attached to the two faces are all-too-fitting. I am fascinated by beautiful destinations, but often begin to miss home only a few days into the trip; just as I am infatuated with the Silver, but long for the Bleu.

To me, watches are romantic tools. And in my modest collection, none are more romantic than the Reverso Bleu.

Cheers,

Peter

IMG_0510 (1).JPG IMG_0531 (1).JPG IMG_0583 (1).JPG IMG_0617 (1).JPG IMG_0598 (1).JPG
    Edited Apr 1, 2015
    ELV web, Dogmann, jordn and 8 others like this.
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 1, 2015

Oh boy, a guy could empty out a bank account or two on Reversos.

SpikiSpikester and pcdubc like this.
  3. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 1, 2015

pcdubc likes this.
  4. NT931 Apr 1, 2015

I had the pleasure of seeing this one in the metal just a few days ago, and it is an absolutely stunning watch. Both sides of the watch are equally attractive (especially the white side) , and the Fagliano strap gives it that extra oomph. Just beautiful, congrats!

pcdubc likes this.
  5. lenny Apr 1, 2015

I don't normally like modern watches, but have to say that this model is spectacular. Thanks for the writeup (starts googling prices on it now).

pcdubc likes this.
  6. pcdubc Apr 1, 2015

@LouS: Yes indeed. If the US edition of the 1931 Reverso ever comes on the market, my bank account will be a victim.
    @SpikiSpikester : Your post lead me to the impulse buy. Thank you for those wonderful pictures!
    @NT931: Those Fagliano straps are sublime. I am going to my local AD to figure out how to order replacements
    @lenny: Brand new is $10800. I know that JLC are producing a few more to be released in the Fall, but without the Fagliano strap.

lenny likes this.
  7. pcdubc Apr 8, 2015

Looks like I jynxed myself. Incoming!

US.jpg
  8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 9, 2015

We really need some more pictures :)

How about a lume shot, there aren't too many around for this model ;)

9. pcdubc Apr 9, 2015

Happily obliged =)

IMG_0335.JPG IMG_0339.JPG IMG_0322.JPG IMG_0326.JPG
    ELV web and SpikiSpikester like this.
  10. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 9, 2015

Beautiful watch! Really beautiful.

pcdubc likes this.
  11. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 9, 2015

Despite owning the Bleu for 18 months, I never realised it had lumed hands on the white side ! I generally use the blue side unless I'm travelling and I never look at in the dark anyway :)

I'm off to sneak a peak at the side with the light off.

Thanks !

hermes4 and pcdubc like this.