Forums Latest Members

The Tintin Chapel (in Bruges)

1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 1, 2017

IMG_5282.JPG IMG_5287.JPG

If you enjoy a good beer now and again and/or enjoyed Tintin Cartoons at any point in your life, then the Tintin Chapel in Bruges, Belgium, is definitely a place not to be overlooked should you ever be fortunate enough to find yourself in Bruges for a day.

If you are a collector of Tintin paraphernalia, then chances are good that you might come to Bruges with one of your primary goals to check out / purchase some Tintin items here (EDIT : or go chase the trail in Brussels, as that's where Hergé apparently got his inspiration from : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...gium/articles/On-the-Tintin-trail-in-Belgium/).

There are exhibitions of an unimaginable amount of collectible items as well as collectible items (read : not for sale items - I really wanted a Tintin bread tin) of all form, shapes, size and variety of applications. It is thus an aesthetic feast for the eyes (there are also Smurfs, for interests sake), as well as a headache for the wallet (not unlike that other disease we all are infected with).

The Tintin Chapel shares an alley with a beer pub that has a Serious (note the capital S) variety of the worlds best beer (I already hear ze Germans mumbling something about Reinheitsgebot, or was it Schweinheitsverbot?). But this is not unusual for Bruges (quantity and variety of beer, found everywhere) it's merely a lovely side-effect of exiting the Tintin Chapel, and serves as a great place for a half-time break too.

My better half and I were fortunate enough to find ourselves in Bruges for a day, and happily stumbled upon this (had no idea it existed) among all the breweries, museums, historic buildings and tourists. Attached some pics for your viewing pleasure.

IMG_5255.JPG IMG_5260.JPG IMG_5259.JPG IMG_5257.JPG

Took home some awesome mugs (other than the fine experience and colorful pics). This is the first time I have bought souvenirs since I was 12 years old but these are just awesome and shall be used, not to uselessly gather dust.
    IMG_5258.JPG IMG_5261.JPG IMG_5263.JPG IMG_5264.JPG IMG_5265.JPG IMG_5266.JPG IMG_5268.JPG IMG_5267.JPG IMG_5270.JPG IMG_5269.JPG IMG_5271.JPG IMG_5272.JPG IMG_5273.JPG IMG_5274.JPG IMG_5275.JPG

...and of course, how could I not...
    IMG_5283.JPG IMG_5286.JPG

...and when you leave : Beer. Awesome beer. Lots of awesome beer...

IMG_5277.JPG IMG_5279.JPG IMG_5280.JPG IMG_5276.JPG

Some might say:
    IMG_5278.JPG

Regards,
    Eugene

Edited May 2, 2017
    CTS-V, mariah94, ahartfie and 14 others like this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex May 1, 2017

neilfrancis and eugeneandresson like this.
  3. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool May 1, 2017

Huge Tintin fan! Thanks :)

mariah94 and eugeneandresson like this.
  4. MaiLollo May 1, 2017

Very cool. I attended the Hergé exposition in Paris earlier this year, and boy was he a genius.
    I read Tintin growing up ;)

eugeneandresson likes this.
  5. nmttd2 May 1, 2017

I was just in Amsterdam and they love tintin also.

IMG_1035.JPG IMG_1696.JPG
    CTS-V and eugeneandresson like this.
  6. OhMegaMan May 1, 2017

I thought from the thread title, there is a chapel to pray to the god Tintin. Now that's something I had to see for myself.

Lonestar likes this.
  7. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 2, 2017

@OhMegaMan there is nothing stopping you from doing that there ;) Perhaps the building it occupies was a chapel, there are tons of those...

8. Perseus May 2, 2017

I'm big fan of the Tintin speedmasters. I think they are underrated and will appreciate in value down the road.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  9. levkov May 2, 2017

Oh no.. I spent the Xmas holidays in Bruges without being aware of the Tintin Chapel, I missed it! Now I'm going to have to go back.. well, the fantastic beers and chocolate kind of help in making that decision..

Lewismark and eugeneandresson like this.
  10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 2, 2017

As long as you 1) enjoy 2) wearing it 3) in good health then you cant go wrong. I still can't help wondering how the Speedy Tintin would have looked with rocket sub-dial hands (similar to the Alaska project, but naturally being the Tintin rocket) and a red chrono hand (for example)...just for interests sake, I have absolutely no complaints about this watch other then I cant stare at it all day (might be detrimental the health).

As mentioned, I literally stumbled upon it, so you should not be too hard on yourself :) But apparently Brussels is the place to go for 'Tintinology'...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...gium/articles/On-the-Tintin-trail-in-Belgium/

Edited May 2, 2017
    levkov likes this.
  11. Lewismark May 3, 2017

I went on a stag weekend to Bruges last year, I may or may not have gone here I don't recall much...:confused:

levkov likes this.
  12. levkov May 3, 2017

Haha Tintin stood no chance then [emoji4]