Forums Latest Members

The time share watch, can I interest you in one?

1. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Oct 17, 2014

Ok here's how the time share watch scheme works, a relation let's say for example a mother in law has her late husbands watch. It sits languishing in a drawer not working for let's say five years unworking. One day she decides to generously betrothed said watch to an unsuspecting son in law. Knowing the provenance, history and sentimental value he sets about restoring it for the said reasons. A few weeks later and a bit of cleaning and a service and a bit of love she ticks lovely again. The son in law wears it for two weeks before
    declaring it a good un again. The mother in law then comes over with an acute dose of sentimentality and decides she needs to wear it in honour of her late husband. The son in law bows his head in reverence knowing he's done his best and to see the joy on her face he could never put a price on.
    Quite a while later, a few straps and various trips to the watchmaker to maintain the chronometer performance and other trifling niggles I have come to the conclusion, it's a time share watch! Just like a time share holiday apartment I get to enjoy it a couple of times a year (around minor niggles time) and pay for it dearly. More worryingly my son is fast approaching 21, he has eyes on my speedy triple date and I can't help feeling another time share watch contract I have to sign.
    Here's a picture of the constellation that's due some work again (only time I see it )
    And another of my speedy that seem less like mine every passing day.

So here's the deal, I'm not just taking one for the team I'm getting thrashed out here. I'm looking for a mug just like me who's willing to let me wear his high end watch with gay abandon, don't worry about theft ooh no. You will be seeing it regularly every single time it need some money spending on it. Oh yes it's yours now kimosabi. It then transforms into the worlds nicest beater, who cares about damage its not yours, just throw it back at the owner and get him to sort it. If your not happy with that deal I'm prepared to swap for your own time share watch, only for a week I can't afford two weeks maintenance bills at the moment. Don't worry about dates to swap watches the bloody mother in law haunts me with it, there's always money to be spent on it when it's not her money.[​IMG]

Mothra and rhetoric like this.
  2. ulackfocus Oct 17, 2014

Hey buddy, get used to it. Windy raids my box fairly frequently. Her pet watch is my 18k red gold JLC, and she's tried to commandeer both my AP's. Don't forget that you are your wife's 'perpetual calendar' for time & date changes as needed too.

persco likes this.
  3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 17, 2014

My wife got my gold JLC, too. She even insist it to swap its strap into yellow one. ;).
    My son always borrow my 1970 Speedy Pro for his special events.
    I think having our family share the benefit of our hobby is increasing its joy. Just make sure to educate them on how to treat our watches right.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 17, 2014

Buy both your time share clients the best looking $20 quartz you can find (Large dial for the Mother in Law) ::confused2:: after telling her they have to send to Omega each time now which gives you extra wrist time.........

5. ulackfocus Oct 17, 2014

Windy has a quartz TAG Aquaracer already. Her dress watch is a lady's vintage manual wind caliber 625 DeVille. I earned enough for a Citizen for doing some articles and reviews a couple years ago so I let her pick one as a work watch. It's on a blue faux gator strap with a blue second hand, and her scrubs are blue so she's all matchy-matchy. Fortunately, that keeps her away from any of my watches with a blue color scheme..... as if I'd let her get near the AT. :cautious:

6. dragoman Oct 18, 2014

Yep, we may be born to run, but sure as hell they are born to raid...

It's only after you get married that you discover what really "strap your hands cross my engines" meant to them ladies....

7. persco Oct 18, 2014

My watches are only "mine" when they need polishing, strap changes, date setting, or time setting. Mrs Persco has been reaching freely into the watch box lately.

She has been wearing my SM 300 for a week, before that it was the Speedy. At one point, she took to wearing my Stowa Marine auto but then decided she didn't like it as much as the Omegas. She's got good taste. But I have to take polywatch to the crystals every now and then to fix up the marks from her activity. I am waiting for a 1963 re-issue of the Chinese Airforce chrono for her. She likes it and I hope it gives the Omegas a break for a while.