Forums Latest Members

The Time 4A Pint Podcast #41: A Brief Introduction to English Pocket Watches with Seth Kennedy

1. tyrantlizardrex Mar 2, 2018

Afternoon OF!

Episode 41 of the Time 4A Pint Podcast is Live.

This week I ventured into the world of Antiquarian Horology, and English pocket watches, with knowledgable and incredibly patient watchmaker, Seth Kennedy.

IMG_7334wm.jpg

Seth brought along a selection of the tools he uses when working on the timepieces of the past, along with a few watches from his own collection, including two that he has hand crafted brand new, sterling silver cases for.

For the wags who felt that the modern British watches on episode 39 weren’t quite British enough, hopefully the pieces on today’s show will satisfy your patriotic urges!

Listen Now.

Edited Mar 2, 2018
    dsio and Lucasssssss like this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex Mar 5, 2018

What do we think folks? Too Nerdy? Not Nerdy enough? Do we all now need to go out and buy 200 year old pocket watches? :D

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 5, 2018

Its one of those things where I respect them a great deal but owning them I feel is a bit like having an old Austin Healey with a crash gearbox in that its worth appreciating but a bit much of an inconvenience to own, I'll have a listen on the way to work though tomorrow morning

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  4. tyrantlizardrex Mar 5, 2018

Similar feelings here Ash.

I like looking at them, I respect the guys like Seth who work on them, I don’t feel the need to own one.

5. micampe Mar 5, 2018

I feel the same as you both, and I enjoyed the episode. Not nerdy enough for me :) would have liked some anecdotes on what’s different about working on these, I’m sure Seth has stories.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  6. tyrantlizardrex Mar 5, 2018

As I understand it, Seth only works on these types of watches... so not sure there's much to compare and contrast with more modern stuff.

He told me a few stories, that are sadly not for the public domain!