Forums Latest Members

The Time 4A Pint Podcast #4: Neil Francis. Collector of Watches and... Things. (remastered)

1. tyrantlizardrex Apr 13, 2017

Morning All!

This was due to go live tomorrow, but with it being Easter, I thought you might all like it a day early (and I've been told we have plans tomorrow... which of course I knew about but forgot).

This week, I sat down to talk with fellow forum member @neilfrancis about his collections of... things... including watches.

We sound like a couple of over excited school boys... which is basically what we are.

Enjoy!

SkullPipe.jpg

https://www.time4apint.com/podcast/2017/4/13/the-time-4a-pint-podcast-episode-4

As always, feedback is appreciated, and honest ratings and reviews on iTunes especially so: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-time-4a-pint-podcast/id1220029799?mt=2

Cheers

Chris

SpikiSpikester, Kmart, Jwit and 6 others like this.
  2. mr_yossarian Apr 13, 2017

All of a sudden I'm looking forward to the Airport today!:) Thanks!

Taddyangle and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  3. chows99 Apr 13, 2017

Looking forward to listening this! Always enjoyable!

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  4. mr_yossarian Apr 13, 2017

..and: from experience I'm deeply convinced that parts of men's brain will never turn older than 16, and that's a good thing :)

neilfrancis and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  5. Greatoldone Apr 13, 2017

I love it when you click on the related podcasts, and you get the following:
    - The Radio 4 Quiz (highbrow radio station in the U.K.)
    - Dude Soup (no idea, but explicit content :D)
    - Gardeners Question Time
    - Game Scoop!

Aren't matching algorithms wonderful things. :confused::cool:

6. omg smstr Apr 13, 2017

That's an excellent episode.
    It's far too short, I could listen this kind of discussion for hours without getting bored.
    As a non native english speaker I was afraid to be lost due to hot-stone-in-the-mouth accent. But it's plain clear and I love it.
    Already looking forward the next episode.

7. tyrantlizardrex Apr 13, 2017

Oh the weird... although I'm happy to be matches with Radio 4 and Gardeners Question Time! :thumbsup::whistling::coffee:

SpikiSpikester and Greatoldone like this.
  8. tyrantlizardrex Apr 13, 2017

I'm so glad that you enjoyed it, and that we were understandable!

I shall try not to disappoint :D

Tritium likes this.
  9. RJwatches Apr 13, 2017

Another good episode!

For me it would have been more entertaining if the episode was more watch related. I'm not that into the other things mr Francis collected. But obviously that's personal preference. And the Omega only got 2 minutes of air time :(

But apart from that, I liked it, keep it up!

10. tyrantlizardrex Apr 13, 2017

I can for sure see that view point... I would say that the goal of the podcast is to find out about the collectors, as much as the watches they collect, and a big part of Neil, is that he collects lots of things (including watches). :D

Yes the Omega did only get a little time... two reasons: 1) Time was running out, 2) Of the watches on the table, the Cartier and JLC were to my mind, much more interesting.

Most of us have held, or owned a Speedmaster Automatic Date... less of us can say the same of the Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Triple Date Calendar 140.3.87, or the Cartier Tortu Mono Poussoir Collection Privée Cartier Paris.

Let alone a pipe in the shape of a skull... ;)

I'll also fall back on the old adage of "You can't please all of the people, all of the time".

Next week... something very Omega heavy.

tapaptpat, Just Livin and Tritium like this.
  11. RJwatches Apr 13, 2017

Ofcourse, and still it was very entertaining. Can't wait for next week :)

Tritium and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  12. omg smstr Apr 13, 2017

Oh wait, Neil's grotesque tentative to imitate french accent was not understandable :p
    - comment made from accross the channel -

13. tyrantlizardrex Apr 13, 2017

I was sat next to him... and I wasn't sure what he was saying either :D

mr_yossarian and omg smstr like this.
  14. lillatroll Apr 13, 2017

Firstly, well done for making this series, but for me, this episode had too little watch content and too much other stuff. It doesn't have to be about Omega watches but I want to hear about watches not pipes and other things.I think there was less than 6 minutes content about watches.

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, I have really enjoyed your podcasts thus far and I even appreciate that it is just as much about the collectors as it is the watches but the non watch stuff is just not intetesting. (I know, only one person's opinion and you can't please everyone.) Keep up the good work.

15. mr_yossarian Apr 13, 2017

Well, very little watch content and a lot about collecting, in other words: about the conditio sine qua non to what most here do when spending fortunes on tiny mechanical things. excellent again.

And I must add: a lizard and a freak in one room, who would have thought they'd do something so smart and entertaining :)

Thanks to both.

16. tyrantlizardrex Apr 13, 2017

All good feedback @lillatroll! :thumbsup:

I'm going to put it out there, and say that it is incredibly unlikely that I will produce another episode like this - because I don't think I've met another watch collector, who collects other things in the way that Neil does.

For me, Episode 4 tells a lot of the story about Neil collecting things (including watches), and not so much about the watches - which I get, is not what everyone would like to hear.

I'm responsible for getting over excited whilst talking about everything with Neil, and rather than steering the conversation to talk more about watches, keeping things going on all the other stuff. Sorry about that. ::facepalm1::

Proving, once and for all, that I am a rank amateur when it comes to focused, non rambling conversations... on microphone or not. :whistling:

lillatroll likes this.
  17. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 13, 2017

Nice! And true (what another forum member mentioned)...the voice and the lizzardsuite are a nice contrast ;) Thanks!

PS: I got a 'tiger' one piece...was the best $6 I ever spent...

18. tyrantlizardrex Apr 13, 2017

I'm glad you enjoyed it! :thumbsup:

A little off piste to what the other episodes have been.

I had a lot of fun recording, and editing it... the feedback I've had from various places seems to be 50/50. :coffee:

19. mr_yossarian Apr 13, 2017

I like to see this podcast being on a broader base.

20. neilfrancis Apr 13, 2017

I half-Like this