Forums Latest Members

The Time 4A Pint Podcast #16: Time 4A Pint News - July 2017

1. tyrantlizardrex Jul 28, 2017

It's Friday, it's Podcast Day!

This week on episode 16 of the Time 4A Pint podcast - we’re going to have a bit of a catchup, share some news from the Time 4A Pint July event and upcoming podcasts, kill off some gossip, talk about the AHS, and tell you about a couple of watches that we've encountered out on our travels - it’s going to be short, it’s going to be sweet, and a little sour... but mostly sweet.

SMP300TRIO.jpg NomosClubCampusBlack.jpg NomosClubCampusWhite.jpg

Listen Now!

Edited Jul 28, 2017
    eugeneandresson and kov like this.
  2. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 29, 2017

I must say I really liked this episode, like all the previous talking about general news and what happened here and there. Well done Chris !

I had to smile when you came back to the TZ-Uk ban as well as the nasty comments people can make about you, what you do or events you're invited to. Sometimes I am happy to pull out of the closet one of my tees and put it on :)

IMG_9549.PNG

Some people just don't deserve better for certain things they may think, say, or - ever worse - write.

Edited Jul 29, 2017
    Nathan1967 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  3. tyrantlizardrex Jul 29, 2017

Thanks @kov

I thought it was best to tackle a couple of issues head on... shut things down and move on with life.

The level of weird jealousy because you "get to go to things"... I'm like... "did you ask?"... silence :rolleyes:

Kmart, Nathan1967 and kov like this.
  4. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jul 29, 2017

Glad you liked the AHS lecture and have given the Society a plug. It is a really good organisation and membership allows access to the now-digital archive which is an invaluable research resource. I am planning my next article for the Journal with an Omega angle.

5. tyrantlizardrex Jul 29, 2017

It was an interesting evening... and I'll be honest, I was way out of my depth. If anyone needs help to make complicated subjects a little more "pleb friendly", please point them my way! Happy to help. :thumbsup:

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 29, 2017

Personally I think Time For A Pint is fun and informative. Don't let the trolls get you down. Or ...Congrats ...you have become the "watch press." :eek: :whistling:

Nathan1967 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  7. tyrantlizardrex Jul 31, 2017

Thanks Larry!

I think to legitimately be the watch press, I either need a full time job to to squeeze watch stuff around, or to be comped everything, and forever say that everything is amazing, for fear of free stuff evaporating... ;)

Nathan1967 likes this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 31, 2017

Yes ...May I add blackmailing small independents who make 250 long lead time watches a year for free goods then trashing them publicly when they decline to be bullied...to your list?

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  9. tyrantlizardrex Jul 31, 2017

Yuck.

Just Yuck.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 31, 2017

That reminds me of a time when I received a request from a moderator of a forum asking for a free watch in return for a review. It just so happens another moderator of the same forum contacted me the same day, with the same request. They didn't know that each other had asked me...so I replied to both with the same response I give to everyone who asks for a free watch in exchange for a review...

"No thanks"

And I told them they should consider getting organized because they looked a little foolish with one hand not knowing what the other was doing.

There is so much of this kind of thing that goes on, it would amaze the average collector. The watch world had it's own dark underbelly, and this is definitely one aspect of that.

Larry S and noelekal like this.
  11. tyrantlizardrex Jul 31, 2017

I can't imagine expecting someone to just give you something (to keep) in exchange for writing about it... that's pretty much a bribe.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 31, 2017

Yes that's my thought as well, but it's common in the watch business...

13. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 31, 2017

Hmmm...

If I would patronizingly post in this thread can I have a free watch?

14. tyrantlizardrex Jul 31, 2017

I have some paper and some crayons... sure I could knock something up... ;)

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 31, 2017

Chris this is why OF is so refreshingly hard on shills, why trade press (any trade press) has to read with scepticism, and why your podcast is so honest. It's one thing to report on and have access to WIS events and manufacturers. It's quite another to have your hand out in exchange for reporting/ publicity. Mike Royko a beloved Chicago based columnist once suggested that Chicago's city motto should be "where's mine" in Latin of course.

16. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 31, 2017

Another great episode Chris :)

Ignore the idjits and keep em coming.

Just coz you said it...

17. propervinyl Jul 31, 2017

Chris, this is my first time tuning in to your podcast, and I think it is fantastic. Just listened to the newest episode, as well as the one with @Spacefruit. Informative, interesting, and engaging. Well done.

18. davidswiss Jul 31, 2017

I'm obviously an innocent. I knew nothing about TZ-UK, but if they ban you for pointing out a few home truths then that's not a loss. As for the free watch demands, I'm staggered that people would even ask for one.

A good broadcast by the way.